Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
  • Welcome to The Upholster.com Forum. Please login or sign up.

July 07, 2024, 07:04:35 am

News:

Welcome to our new upholstery forum with an updated theme and improved functionality. We welcome your comments and questions to our forum! Visit our main website, Upholster.com, for our extensive supply of upholstery products, instructional information and videos, and much more.

What material for covering a motorbike. ?

Started by Grebo, April 11, 2011, 01:55:24 am

Previous topic - Next topic

Grebo

I am thinking of not scratching the paint work mainly.
The bike is in an exposed position that can get really windy, lots of sun & when it rains it throws it down.
It's for a neighbour that happens to be a local plod ( police man) ;D & I could get a lot more work out of it  :P

Suzi

Mojo

I have made a lot of bike covers. To many of them actually. :)

I have found through experimenting that a good, strong cover can be made out of using cover material
that you would use for a bimini. What I then do is line it with this material -

http://www.rochfordsupply.com/shop/Textiles_-_Bargain_Buys/Closeout_Cover_Fabrics/Misc_Car_and_Storage_Cover_Material/index.html

The liner helps to prevent scratches as well as moisture buildup. I install vents on each side up towards the top rather then near the bottom. This really makes a huge difference. I have found through my experimenting that un-vented covers will trap moisture big time but if its vented it will keep things dry.
I use a velcro strap under the bike to hold the cover on.

The last cover I made I used Surlast and was really happy with it. Any good marine grade cover material will work. But I always use a liner on mine since many of the bikes my covers go on have a lot of chrome.
The last thing an owner wants is chaffing or scratching on his $ 15 K motorcycle. :)

If you have any other questions, let me know.

Chris

Grebo

April 11, 2011, 03:41:27 am #2 Last Edit: April 11, 2011, 03:43:57 am by Grebo
Cool, thanks Chris.
So as it's a lining does it just lay inside the outer or I guess sewn in with the other seams ?
& what kind of vent do you mean, have you a picture please  ;D It would need those as it will get really hot in the summer.
It's a modern BMW so not a lot of body work.

Suzi

Mike8560

I made a cover once for my bike that sat outside with sunbrella it was good with water I didn't see much wind and the cover was form fitting so I didn't have trouble. If I had to do it again I'd go outdura trio ha e you see it it's like sunbrella but has a liner that is like soft flannell  nice

Mojo

Suzi:

I do not have any pictures of the vent but it is a basic half moon shape. I cut out the shape I want and then cut another piece which is the flap or outside of the vent. I use scrap textilene I have around for the screening but any screening material will work.

If you have a couple pieces of flimsy plastic about an inch wide then sew that into the bottom of the hem on the vents. This will hold the the vent opening open. Just cut the plastic 2 inches longer then the opening.

I make my vents about 8 inches in length and about 3 to 4 inches tall.

I forgot to mention in my last post that I will take scrap marine vinyl and sew this to the bottom hem. It adds a nice touch but also adds weight to the bottom of the cover keeping the cover down better. The strip of vinyl is usually about 4 to 6 inches in height. If you wanted to you could sew some elastic into the bottom hem. Most bike covers have elastic around the front and rear sections of the cover to give a tighter fit around the tires.

Hope this helps.

Chris

Grebo

Yes it does thank you very much  ;D  Chris.

Don't think I can get Outdura but will have a look thanks Mike.

Suzi

Mojo

I have tried using a soft backed material for bike covers and found the material on the backside will trap and hold moisture. This is why I use the inside cover that I use.

I make RV mirror covers and line them with this material. I pulled the covers off my coach the other day after a torrential downpour and they were dry as a bone. My motorcycles also do not collect or hold moisture either.

You may want to consider using a marine grade cover material without any soft backing and then line it with the material I posted above.

Just a suggestion. :)

Chris

Mike8560

Chris do you a d how do you line the surlast with this liner.  I'm familiar with this car cover fabric it seems like it would hold water     Have tou used trio? I've never done a cover  fo myself with it and havnt had a comaint from  a customer.

Grebo

Thanks Chris, it all depends on what I can get hold of. But with your advise in mind I will see what I can find.   ;D

Suzi

Mojo

I just pattern then cut. I then go back and pattern the liner using the fabric.

The liner material is pretty much waterproof and will not soak or draw moisture. That is why the classic car guys use it. It protects their cars from scratches or tiny dings when stored, keeps the dust off the car and wont build and trap moisture.

I looked at a bimini a guy wanted repaired that was done with Outdura trio. When I touched it the backside was damp. I have never used Trio before but it is an awesome fabric. I would be worried though using it on a motorcycle.

Maybe Miami Mike can jump on here and give us some input on the trio.

Chris

Mike8560

meen how did you line it sew it or glue it chris ?

Mojo

I sewed the liner in. Is that what you were talking about ?

I have glued it before and it glues up nicely. But whenever I can I try and sew it.
I hate screwing with glue.....:)

Chris

hdflame

Chris,

I bought some of that material from Rochford to try for a motorcycle a few months ago but haven't tried it yet.  I was going to just use it with no material on top.  It looks like a car cover that I used to have to cover my '66 Mustang Conv.  I hadn't really thought about a top material, since I was thinking about packing the cover to use on trips (taking up too much space).  I was thinking about for my Ural with the sidecar, but guess it would work on a two wheeler too.  I don't usually cover my Road King on trips, but it'd be nice not to have to wipe off the dew in the mornings.  I may make a small cover just for the seats and windshield.

Bobby
www.riddlescustomupholstery.com
www.sunstopper.biz
Several Old Singers
Elna SU
Older Union Special
BRAND NEW Highlead GC0618-1-SC
and a new Cobra Class 4 Leather Machine  ;)

Mojo

Bobby:

I have made two without any topper fabric. They actually held up in the Florida sun very well for 2 years.

Most classic car guys use it as a dust cover. For your purposes it would work great.

But for extended outdoor use I suggest a topper fabric such as a Marine cover material.

You will be fine using it outside now and then and it makes an awesome dust cover if it is parked inside a garage.

Chris

hdflame

Chris,

I bought one made from very similar material that I used to cover my '66 Mustang after I restored it.  It lasted about 3-4 years...until some cats decided they liked to sharpen their claws on it! >:(

We don't have cats anymore! ;D
Bobby
www.riddlescustomupholstery.com
www.sunstopper.biz
Several Old Singers
Elna SU
Older Union Special
BRAND NEW Highlead GC0618-1-SC
and a new Cobra Class 4 Leather Machine  ;)