Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
  • Welcome to The Upholster.com Forum. Please login or sign up.

July 07, 2024, 07:27:05 am

News:

Welcome to our new upholstery forum with an updated theme and improved functionality. We welcome your comments and questions to our forum! Visit our main website, Upholster.com, for our extensive supply of upholstery products, instructional information and videos, and much more.

HELP!!! 1972 olds 442 convertable

Started by cruzeng, March 21, 2011, 09:55:31 am

Previous topic - Next topic

cruzeng

March 21, 2011, 09:55:31 am Last Edit: March 21, 2011, 12:14:35 pm by cruzeng
Looking for help....I am going to upholster the above mentioned car seats...for the back seats I have only the frame and the new covers to put on.....what will I put for padding?   I don't know if its 2 inch foam and some cushion wrap....what do you put over the springs to keep the foam from sinking through the springs?  Haven't upholstered car seats, trying to help hubby with his dream car!!
Thanx in advance for any help.

cgillock

I am doing a complete restore of the same car. I don't know where to start. But here goes. Be prepared to spend 2 or 3 grand on tools & equipment at minimum. Order 2 or 3 times the amount of material the job calls for. Because you will screw up that much or more in some cases. You will need several upholstery books & videos appox. 150 bucks. Plan on a year or 2 to finish. The Lord only knows how much your time alone is worth. A lot of the time it takes will be spent on healing up trauma to your body. I hope your marriage is strong cause it is going to need to be. I'm not trying to be a smartass, seriously. I wish I had just let a local shop do the interior. What I spent on equipment & material would have easily paid a professional. The mechanical part comes much easier to me. But I have sure learned a lot & have several manly scars to show for it. But this BB & 6 or 8 thousand dollars will get you a job that looks decent from 10 or 15 feet. Also I have alot of experience sewing leather by hand & quite a bit on a harness sticher. But sewing vinyl on a new walking foot machine is a different ballgame altogether. And you will probably get to know some new friends at a local upholstery shop & when you make good enough friends with them to tell you what they would have charged you you will be sick. Sorry but that is my 2 cents worth. Now gotta go clean up bits of hogrings, foam, vinyl & the dirt & crud the was under my 442's old interior it is a mess.

Mojo

I wish you guys both the very best. The 72 - 442 is one of my all time favorites. I served a term as a director for the RE Olds museum and was in charge of their Public Relations & Marketing. My Aunt, Helen Earley was one of the founders of the museum and was the Oldsmobile factory historian.

My Grandfather was the comptroller for Oldsmobile for many years and the vast amount of my relatives including my Dad retired from Olds. My father and uncle were both drivers for Olds and spent a lot of time testing at the big track ( Milford proving grounds ). I believe that my family had a combined service of 415 years for Old's.

If either of you need any technical assistance, contact the RE Olds museum and history center in Lansing.

Best of luck and be sure to post pictures of your projects.

Chris

mike802

I would think for the 442 there would be lots of restoration parts available, are the seat covers pre-made?  If so check with the company they were purchased from they should have the seat foam also.  Do a Google search for 442 parts I am sure someone makes seat foam.  A layer of burlap over the springs will keep the foam from sagging between the springs.  I don't know if Year One deals in 442 or not, but would be a good starting point.
"Nearly all men can stand adversity, but if you want to test a man's character, give him power" - Abraham Lincoln
http://www.mjamsdenfurniture.com

cruzeng