Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
  • Welcome to The Upholster.com Forum. Please login or sign up.

July 02, 2024, 11:24:39 am

News:

Welcome to our new upholstery forum with an updated theme and improved functionality. We welcome your comments and questions to our forum! Visit our main website, Upholster.com, for our extensive supply of upholstery products, instructional information and videos, and much more.

Motorcoach Dash Done :)

Started by Mojo, April 13, 2011, 07:34:57 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Mojo

April 13, 2011, 07:34:57 pm Last Edit: April 13, 2011, 07:39:28 pm by Mojo
I finished off the dash job on the 40 ft Legacy motorcoach. I just now got the chance to post the pics.

The job was actually more difficult then I thought it would be. I was thinking it was a simple recover but it turned out to have several weird curves. But the major pain was the vinyl had to be stretched a certain way. If you look at the dash piece you will see a black strip that runs down the center. Well, this piece allows the dash ( when installed ) to flex downward and slope towards the windshield.

This made it difficult when stretching the vinyl. It had to be stretched just right for the downward slope when the dash was installed and bent downward. I was lucky as I got the stretch perfect on the first try. :) To much and I would have had problems with a line down the center right at the bend. To little and I would have had a bulge from loose material. Sometimes you beat your head against a wall and other times you hit a home run. I am just glad it came out OK.

The customer and the dealership was over the moon with the work. The dealer said they would start using me for other work in the future. The glass company that damaged the dash and originally called me to do the work is happy as well and wants to start using me for solar screens in Central Forida. So all in all it turned out to be a good job for me.

Here is a link to the pic's - http://s181.photobucket.com/albums/x200/throgmartin/Upholstery%20Projects/Dash%20Job/

It seems like every job I get is a learning experience. I have never done a dash before. As a matter of fact a lot of the work I get I have never done before. So I have no experience to draw from when doing these jobs. But there is a great deal of personal satisfaction when these jobs are all done and come out good. For me it isn't about the money ( though it is nice ) but more about the challenge and the enjoyment of seeing it come out OK. :)

Chris

MinUph

Came out nice Chris.
  Challenges are always the most fun. Working with vinyl you have to use the stretch to your advantage. Generally up the good stretches more and across the good is pretty stable.
Paul
Minichillo's Upholstery
Website

Mike8560

look good Chris my dad would tell a customer he did it for the praise more then the money when he did a nice looking job painting or pappering

hdflame

Chris,  Good job, DUDE!  Looks better than factory.
Bobby
www.riddlescustomupholstery.com
www.sunstopper.biz
Several Old Singers
Elna SU
Older Union Special
BRAND NEW Highlead GC0618-1-SC
and a new Cobra Class 4 Leather Machine  ;)

Grebo

Nice job Chris real smoooth.

Suzi

mike802

Looks real good Chris, maybe I should have you come up and do the dash in my bus when I get to that point ;D
"Nearly all men can stand adversity, but if you want to test a man's character, give him power" - Abraham Lincoln
http://www.mjamsdenfurniture.com