Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
  • Welcome to The Upholster.com Forum. Please login or sign up.

July 03, 2024, 03:02:55 am

News:

Welcome to our new upholstery forum with an updated theme and improved functionality. We welcome your comments and questions to our forum! Visit our main website, Upholster.com, for our extensive supply of upholstery products, instructional information and videos, and much more.

sewing vinyl

Started by drem312, March 15, 2011, 03:48:21 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Mojo

Good Lord. I had no idea you were using a Kenmore home machine.

It probably isn't going to be able to handle 138 then. Maybe Greg or Bobbin can comment on this as I have no experience with these type machines.

I have never heard of any nylon thread being weather / UV resistant. That is a new one on me. All I know is that I avoid nylon thread.

You maybe stuck sewing with 69 if your using a home machine. :(

Chris

seamsperfect

March 16, 2011, 06:42:50 am #16 Last Edit: March 16, 2011, 06:51:18 am by seamsperfect
Quote from: drem312 on March 16, 2011, 06:13:14 am
I will look again at what needle I ended up getting to work properly,, Kevin I was thinking of that sewing about a 1/16th away from the other one and trim the tab on the inside,,,i havent stapeled it yet or even cut the marine foam I really dont want to take it all apart but  the holes are small and even if i took it apart I shouldnt sew in the same holes anyway right? I tried to post but it still wont let me even after i re sized the pic... is there another way

I would do what I suggested it will work well.  At a 1/16" in you will be fine for fitment.
Quote from: drem312 on March 16, 2011, 06:16:20 am
will sunguard 138 fit in a regular household kennmore sewing machine ?

Not a chance I would say 69 would be the most I would use.  You are sewing all your upholstery with a home machine, props to you.  I would never attempt it as I think I would get frustrated.
Quote from: Highvelocity on March 16, 2011, 05:54:20 am
Drem312,
     Just curious to see what size needle you are working with??  We were talking about it on another thread and I heard some guys using smaller needles with 92 and 138 thread.  I use 138 and went to a #18 needle from #21 to see how is would work.  Turns out it works pretty good, that's just vinyl though.

Ed

I use 135x16 TRI Triangle leather, no worries.
Kevin

drem312

that nylon thread I used seems pretty thick and the cheezy machine did handle it  but it does get me frustrated,,,I bought an industrial TACSEW  old straight stitch machine  waiting for the manual i just figured out that i was threading it all wrong never the less when I bring he needle down (by hand) to pick up the bobbin thread half way around it just slices the  top thread  clean off so  i called and there is a repair shop here in Nh that says it can fix the machine...I checked  on you tube and it seems to be in time but im not 100 sure... so the uv 69 poly thread?

drem312

another question can I after I sew the poly a 1/16 away and in front of the nylon can I then trim  the material  close to the threads on the back and just add the HH 66 Vinyl cement to the threads on the back? would this help make sure it stays in place?  if done this way will I have a bump and it wont let the vinyl lay flat on the foam?

Mike8560

Drem do r from it too close less then 3/8" it could tear and open the  seam.
I wouldn't put any glue you don't need it. 
I used to have a shop up in Alton NH. The closet shop I found was Sanford sewing in ME where is this shopp you found? A friend of mine in gilford might need to  know