Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
  • Welcome to The Upholster.com Forum. Please login or sign up.

July 03, 2024, 02:58:00 am

News:

Welcome to our new upholstery forum with an updated theme and improved functionality. We welcome your comments and questions to our forum! Visit our main website, Upholster.com, for our extensive supply of upholstery products, instructional information and videos, and much more.

Need some input on buying a new machine

Started by TimsTrim, March 14, 2011, 06:53:11 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

TimsTrim

My 206 rb is still plugging right along but it's really starting to bother me not having a backup. Before I made the jump to my own shop I always had another machine or two to use if the need came up. I'd really hate to be in the middle of a big job (or even a small one) and break something. Besides, the business has really taken off and I think I just want to treat myself as well as have a backup. My first notion is to buy another , new 206rb. Two like machines has it's merits. Feet interchange etc etc .But I have also looked at the Highleads. About a $2-300 difference, but I'm not sure that's enough to make me go that route. Are the Highlead 618 a Pfaff clone ? The I have the decision to make- just buy a head or head and stand. Both sounds good but then again you have  to have a large machine sitting around. Any thoughts ?

Mojo

If I went out to buy a backup machine I would probably buy something that is very similar to mine. That way I could exchange feet, attachments or even parts.

I have a spare machine ( and recently had to rob a screw from it ). It has its own table and I wished it didn't. It would be much easier to be able to store just the head.

I would look around for another Consew 206 or one of its clones. They are damn good machines and are rock solid and dependable.

JMHO,

Chris

sofadoc

Quote from: TimsTrim on March 14, 2011, 06:53:11 pm
Are the Highlead 618 a Pfaff clone ?

I think the Highlead is more of a Consew clone. You could probably use your 206 feet on it. Wait for Gregg to chime in.
"Perfection is the greatest enemy of profitability" - Mark Cuban

Gregg @ Keystone Sewing

If it ain't broke...

The Consew 206RB series is as strong as ever, and foot, feed, plate, needle, presser feet, hook, bobbin, bobbin case all interchange.  Still one of our very best selling machines overall.

The Highlead is a great machine as well, and many of the parts interchange with the 206RB as well.  Many of the Highlead machines are copied from the Mitsubishi line, and that's a good thing. 

TimsTrim

Greg, I assume the new 206 has the same "footprint " as my old one ? Ie: it'll drop in the table ?

TimsTrim

On the other hand it seems silly to not spend the extra $200 and get everything new. Would I like the newer servo type motor ? I'd likely put some wheels on the old table and roll it into the corner.

Gregg @ Keystone Sewing

TimsTrim,

Yes, same footprint for all models 206RBs, all will drop into the same cutout.  To be technical, the knee lifter bell crank on the Consew 206RB, -1 and -2 is different than the -3, -4 and new -5.  This means to get the maximum foot lift of 9/16" at the foot lifter you may have to make a single simple adjustment to the knee lifter.  Either way, it will line up and work.

As for wheels on standard 'K' legs common to most domestic machines in the US...adding wheels can make the legs and table top height too tall, unstable (as in tip over) and the bottom brace where the foot treadle rests on too high for comfortable use.  Not that people don't still do it...

It's best to go with a new set of T legs with casters to eliminate all that mess is what I'm getting at!

Good questions that come up often at our shop.

bobbin

Servo motors are the balls!  I have two machines with them and I can't wait to change out the clutch motor on my overlock machine.  Worth the dough, my guess is, you'll love it about 5 minutes after you begin using it.

TimsTrim

No, I just meant wheels to get it out of my way and easier to move back in , in case the need arised.

BigJohn

I believe Mojo Bought a Chandler replica of the 206 or the Seiko from Bob Kovar of Toledo Sewing Machine Company and he sings it virtues. He found it to be a less expensive alternative to the Consew, and Bob's support is first rate. I just can't say enough about Bob and for that matter his son, they offer first-rate support and even more important than that he possesses great character. You can find Bobs contact info in the classified section of this board.