Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
  • Welcome to The Upholster.com Forum. Please login or sign up.

October 05, 2024, 03:39:56 pm

News:

Welcome to our new upholstery forum with an updated theme and improved functionality. We welcome your comments and questions to our forum! Visit our main website, Upholster.com, for our extensive supply of upholstery products, instructional information and videos, and much more.

Sticking memory foam.

Started by Grebo, March 28, 2011, 02:28:45 am

Previous topic - Next topic

Grebo

Any tip's ?

I just tried sticking two pieces with Helmicar 17020 spray glue & it looks like it has melted   :(
together leaving a thick lumpy join.
I have a few memory foam bed toppers to make up to 'boat bed shapes'

Suzi

bobbin

We use a product called Cami 303 to glue foam together.  We haven't used a lot of memory foam, but we used the same stuff to glue that and there was no melting or "lumpiness" to the join site. 

I found the memory foam a tough customer to handle because it tends to stretch out of shape when you're positioning  it.  I always ask for help when positioning it over the base piece.  And I frequently make little registration marks so I know I'm "in the ball park" as it's being lowered and the bond is made. 

I don't know much about memory foam but I wonder if the melting you've experienced is due to a different chemical composition in the foam? maybe European standards are different than those in the States?

Grebo

March 28, 2011, 03:49:43 am #2 Last Edit: March 28, 2011, 03:52:49 am by Grebo
Probably are Bobbin, the glue I use is fine with 'normal' foam. May be I got to much on it, I will try a lighter spraying.  ;)

Oh, BTW I am not fixing it down, but making up the shape. One boat has 185cm one end & 73cm at the other  ::)
( 2 metres long) The largest piece I can get is 160 cm x 200cm

Interestingly I have a temporary glue 505 & a craft glue 404 ( permanent repositionable) That might be worth a try, thanks for that.

Suzi

JuneC

That's pretty small sheets.  Don't you have access to memory foam bed toppers that are large enough?  Like these?

http://www.overstock.com/Home-Garden/Dream-Form-Ventilated-3-inch-Memory-Foam-Mattress-Topper/5309595/product.html

June
"Horse sense is the thing a horse has which keeps it from betting on people."

W. C. Fields

Grebo

March 28, 2011, 07:03:20 am #4 Last Edit: March 28, 2011, 07:25:52 am by Grebo
 :o NO.  :'(
But I will be buying them on-line. So may be I need to shop about more.  ::)

Looks like I was too heavy handed with the spray glue #2 ( same glue) is looking good.  :-[