Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
  • Welcome to The Upholster.com Forum. Please login or sign up.

June 26, 2024, 12:04:54 am

News:

Welcome to our new upholstery forum with an updated theme and improved functionality. We welcome your comments and questions to our forum! Visit our main website, Upholster.com, for our extensive supply of upholstery products, instructional information and videos, and much more.

Napp direction

Started by ajlelectronics, March 09, 2011, 12:07:21 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

ajlelectronics

So here I am still playing with these seat covers. Had a good day cutting out, sewing feature lines and assembling. Then I realised that the centre section was cut upside down. No problem I thought as I can just turn it up the other way. I did that and it looked good, until I ran my hand over it.

The nap runs up in the centre section and down on the sides! Apart from the difference in light reflecting colour, what is the reason the napp should run downwards?

bobbin

There is less wear and tear on the clipped fibres if the nap runs down.  Think of the effect multiple ass slides will have on the fibres over a protracted period of time.  It's a wear thing. 

Grebo

Quote from: bobbin on March 09, 2011, 12:43:32 pm
There is less wear and tear on the clipped fibres if the nap runs down.  Think of the effect multiple ass slides will have on the fibres over a protracted period of time.  It's a wear thing. 

Arse wear  :P Nicely put  ;D

NDAV8R

March 10, 2011, 04:56:26 am #3 Last Edit: March 10, 2011, 04:59:57 am by NDAV8R
I was always taught to run the nap down on seat backs, sides, and foward on seat bottoms on chairs, recliners, and sofas. On my aviation carpet jobs, I mark, cut, and bind all carpet pieces in the same direction for color match.

Gale.
Strive for Perfection...Settle for Excellence!

mike802

When I went to school at wyo tech, I was taught that nap should go down on seat backs and in toward the seat back on the bottoms.  The logic I was given for this is it helps hold the driver, or passengers into the seat.   I have done it this way for 27 years and once the seats are in the car cant say as I ever noticed a color difference due to nap and I never had a customer complain that they are slipping out of their seat.  There are times when this rule changes of course, when the fabrics pattern takes preference over nap.  All other surfaces on the seat should have nap run down toward the floor.  Nap is a little different on household furniture where the nap usually runs down the back and out toward the front on the seat cushion and down toward the floor on all other surfaces.
"Nearly all men can stand adversity, but if you want to test a man's character, give him power" - Abraham Lincoln
http://www.mjamsdenfurniture.com

gene

Ass slides. LOL. If you were doing upholstery for nudists, would it be 'wipes' instead of 'slides'?

I once referred to tassels as "hangie down things". The looks I got told me not to do that again. LOL

I don't know about cars, but with furniture I have never known a situation where the nap should not run as the previous posters have posted.

I know a lady who bought a new sofa 2 years ago, cheap crap, and the nap is running from front to back on the seat cushion covers. You can tell where she sits most of the time. The nap is permanently bend back.

gene
QUALITY DOES NOT COST, IT PAYS!

NDAV8R

Back in 1990, I did an interior in a 1940 Chevy Coupe for a guy who provided the material (Bad Idea).  Anyway, as I was into the job, I noticed that I was running short of the MoeHair fabric by arranging all the nap to flow in the same direction.
 I told him I needed more material because of the color difference if I sewn the interior using no waste verses the layout for same nap color apperance. He became estastic and said the salesman that sold him the material said there would be plenty to do the job. Most salesmen don't do upholstery.  Well the nap ran the wrong direction (I can't remember which way on the material bolt). He would'nt take that for an answer and insisted that I use what I have.  I had to change it around even after telling him of the nap color situation.  
 After I was done, he did'nt like the color results, and I got a bad wrap from other people that noticed.  I couldn't even defend myself unless I talked directly to them. NEVER AGAIN!
 I learned to beware of people providing their own limited materials!

Gale.
Strive for Perfection...Settle for Excellence!

Darren Henry

QuoteI did that and it looked good, until I ran my hand over it.

A heads up for those that use Outdura (knock off sunbrella) etc.. I did a mooring cover and bow cover in it a few years ago that looked a " a bit off" because I had made a bad cut and had to run the second piece for the bow cover at 90º to the rest. I thought it was shadow from the fluorescent light until the customer showed up and we opened the door. When the sunlight hit it he had a blue and purple bow cover.
Life is a short one way trip, don't blow it!Live hard,die young and leave no ill regrets!

MinUph

Quote from: Darren Henry on March 12, 2011, 06:27:04 am
QuoteI did that and it looked good, until I ran my hand over it.

A heads up for those that use Outdura (knock off sunbrella) etc.. I did a mooring cover and bow cover in it a few years ago that looked a " a bit off" because I had made a bad cut and had to run the second piece for the bow cover at 90º to the rest. I thought it was shadow from the fluorescent light until the customer showed up and we opened the door. When the sunlight hit it he had a blue and purple bow cover.

Yes may fabrics besides velvets will reflect light in different shades when run in different directions. When the need arises it is always a good idea to lay the fabric side by side to see the difference it makes. Sometimes there is No so you can run boxings or welt in long pieces.
  Good point Darren.
Paul
Minichillo's Upholstery
Website

gene

That's a good point Paul. I get some fabrics that look different colors from different angles. If I have over 1000" in welt cord, for a big sofa and club chair with extra pillows, for example, and I cut the welt cord on the bias, I need to make sure all the strips of welt cord are running in the same direction because it can be very noticeable if not.

gene
QUALITY DOES NOT COST, IT PAYS!

MinUph

Yea I know even the welt shows it. When I cut them on the bias I trim off only one end of the salvage so I know what way its going.
Paul
Minichillo's Upholstery
Website

Lynn

Hey Paul, I do that too.
Darren, it's not just Outdura that does that. Also Dickson and the darker colors of Sunbrella, especially the black can be bad.

Lynn
Life's too short.....let's go fishing!!!