Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
  • Welcome to The Upholster.com Forum. Please login or sign up.

June 26, 2024, 06:51:31 am

News:

Welcome to our new upholstery forum with an updated theme and improved functionality. We welcome your comments and questions to our forum! Visit our main website, Upholster.com, for our extensive supply of upholstery products, instructional information and videos, and much more.

Foaming tools and how to.

Started by Highvelocity, February 10, 2011, 08:48:17 am

Previous topic - Next topic

Highvelocity

I have some projects coming up that require foam work.  I was wondering if there are any special tools available to help shape foam for like a chair or something where you want a smoother corner etc.  I think someone could spend years perfecting the art of foaming.  I find that the projects that I do are only as good as the foam job is, solid measurements etc... I have an electric knife for but it's really only good for striaght cuts of block foam. 

I know this isn't the most popuar subject but any ideas on tools, techniques, etc, would help.

Thanks,
  Ed
Boats Love Hundred Dollar Bills

Mike8560

For thi gs like bolsters on boat seats I'll use different thickness foams if I want to round sounthing I'll cut anglesto make it somwhT round then I'll add asters of thin er foam 1" os less and wrap the foam it. Will smooth our rhe angles and round it better.
On motorcycles seats I e used a high speed sander to shOe rhe foam then I'll add again hi. Foam to smooth  out the
roughness. 

fragged8

you need to see the Sid Chavers dvd's

Rich

Highvelocity

I will look up Sid Chavers and see what's doin. 

Mike, I do a little of what you are saying, still not great at it.  Glueing and wrapping is still an art form...  I am going to do some research on this outside the forum too and see whats out there. 
Boats Love Hundred Dollar Bills

fragged8

as well as sid have a search for motorcycle seats
and gel pad inserts on bike seats on you tube
you'll find some stuff on there.

SHHR

I use a grinder like mike does. I'll first rough out a piece of foam with the knife then with a 3" air grinder and a 40-60 grit disk I'll shape it to it's final shape. Just use a very deft touch with the grinder or you'll very quickly be re-foaming it all over again! Also eye protection and a dust mask is a must. Also, I'll use either 1/4" or 1/2" sew foam glued or sewed to my material and that will cover any minor flaws or sharp corners in the foam base that may show through plus it gives the finished product a nicer look.
Kyle

bobbin

February 10, 2011, 03:25:20 pm #6 Last Edit: February 10, 2011, 04:25:49 pm by bobbin
I think this is a great question!  I have no trouble with cushions and the like, but when it comes to rolled front cushions, knee rolls, bolsters, etc., I break into a cold sweat.  Here's why:

I work in a shop with virtually no equipment (they didn't even have a foam saw when I started there, it was the Hamilton Beach electric "carving knife" or a hack saw!) and the environment is not remotely conducive to adding equipment or experimentation.  I have no latitude to try any of the things I read about on this forum, even though I'd really like to.  I would never have thought about using a grinder to round out a pc. of foam before reading that several of you do it.  NO WAY would I be allowed to try that.  

I agree that wrapping a rough cut pc. of foam is an art.  So is using different sizes and densities of foam.  Every time I've suggested mixing densities I've been cut off and shut off.  I would love to be permitted to try using 1/4" sew foam rather than batting, but so far my suggestions and thoughts on the subject have fallen on deaf ears.  So, whenever you guys talk about how you do it my ears are definitely, "pricked".  And thanks! even if I'm not allowed to try any of it, it's nice to read about it.  Really!

SHHR

Bobbin, I have an idea, How about if you buy dinner, about a dozen or so of us "show up" and "show" your boss how it's done! THE RIGHT WAY!  >:(    We'll straighten him out 8)
Kyle

Peppy

To get a rolled front, or to smooth ragged angle cuts, you can glue a light fabric or dust cloth to the foam then pull it and staple it. Then cover it with 1/4" or 1/2" foam. I do that sometimes.
☠ ✄ ✂ ✁ ✂ ✃ ✄ ✌ ✄ ✂ ✁  ✂ ✃ ✄  ✁ ✃ ☠
http://www.facebook.com/greybruceupholstering
☠ ✄ ✂ ✁ ✂ ✃ ✄ ✌ ✄ ✂ ✁  ✂ ✃ ✄  ✁ ✃ ☠

MinUph

bobbin,
 I feel for ya. Its to bad production stands in the way of experimentation. But to touch on one point. Wrapping foam with Dacron serves 2 purposes. One is to add the puffiness and fill out the cushion or section better and the other is to help keep the air off the foam. It does help lengthen the life of the foam a little. While adding a 1/2 topper of foam doesn't help the longevity of the cushion only adds roundness to the front and covers some imperfections in the shaping process. A needed thing when doing things like bike seats and shaping other seat types. Furniture is generally pretty simple.
 There us to be a foam with a buffed edge that gave it a little roundness. I don't know if this is still being made but it was very nice for knife edge cushions.
 The "art" of wrapping foam or using more than one density together is not much of an art. It is done over sized glued together and then cut to the finished size. Any slop is cut away.
Paul
Minichillo's Upholstery
Website

Mike8560

Quote from: Peppy on February 10, 2011, 05:34:29 pm
To get a rolled front, or to smooth ragged angle cuts, you can glue a light fabric or dust cloth to the foam then pull it and staple it. Then cover it with 1/4" or 1/2" foam. I do that sometimes.
Heres a question.  When uncover a cushion one that hAs say 2" of foam for the most part then a rolled bolster at the front and somtimes curves and is bolstered on 2 sides. I install the rear stapling  it on then with the vster front folded and staple  down the Pull or listing.
Once it stapled down I install the rolled bolster foam and pull the cover over It and staple it down.
your method of having the rolled foam covered with stapled down fabric in place    Maxe me think you must work the opposite way peppy bolster first then the back?  Or am I the only one who doese it this way.