Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
  • Welcome to The Upholster.com Forum. Please login or sign up.

June 17, 2024, 10:49:05 am

News:

Welcome to our new upholstery forum with an updated theme and improved functionality. We welcome your comments and questions to our forum! Visit our main website, Upholster.com, for our extensive supply of upholstery products, instructional information and videos, and much more.

Soy Foam.... Huh ??

Started by Mojo, January 26, 2011, 04:56:42 am

Previous topic - Next topic

Mojo

I just got a flyer from Rochford and inside it they have an ad for " Soy Foam". The price for a 3 inch x 24 x 72 sheet is $ 25.

Has anyone ever used this stuff and if so what were your impressions ? I assume it is partly made out of soybeans ?

Also, included in this flyer was a lot of close out sales on vinyls and other fabrics. The vast majority of the fabrics listed were $ 4.95 per yd. There was a lot of Boltaflex fabrics listed as well as cover fabrics in a lot of different colors.

Chris

SHHR

I guess you could always market it to the vegan crowd??   ::)
Kyle

crammage

I recently finished up a project using the soy foam from Rochford.  It is very similar to regular foam only it is firmer and only comes in one density.  I was told the life expectancy was 7-10 years so it may not last as long as regular foam but who knows.  My understanding is that it is not entirely made from soy, it is just a component of the formula they use.  Trying to capitalize on the "green" movement I guess.

I think it's funny what people think is "green" living.  We tear apart an old chair with horsehair and cotton and replace it with soy foam because the customer wants to be green....go figure, what's more green than horsehair and cotton!

clay

bobbin

What kind of price point are we talking about for the stuff? less money? more?

I know what you mean about the whole "green" thing.  Don't get me wrong, I'm all for minimizing toxicity but I'm with you, Clay, I don't understand jettisoning horsehair (the Cadillac of "stuffing") in favor or foam. 

Several years ago I had a lovely sofa reupholstered and the guy who did it told me to make sure whoever did the work reused the horsehair.  He said there was no finer stuffing for an upholstered piece.  I understand horsehair is very expensive nowadays. 

scottymc

A soy bean cushion, does it make you fart more? Is it called whoopee foam? The greenies as we call them over here are a funny bunch, i first got on this site trying to find environmentally friendly canvas to make surfboard covers for an American clothing firm called Patagonia, my friend had the rights to sell in Australia and said if I could come up with a green board cover he would sell it in his store. Cotton canvas was no good as the cotton had to be grown using enviro friendly practices, but its recyclable? no not good enough, then they suggest hemp, I point out that it is not as durable as canvas, they say thats ok, it costs way more, thats no problem people like to pay more for enviro friendly, I then pointed out that canvas would last 3 to 4 times longer so there would be 4 times as much energy used compared to the cotton . no worries more sales,thats when I walked away. they now stock from a company called Ocean &Earth that has a flee of F250's for company cars and a fleet of jet skis to tow there surfers into waves, at least the name a little bit green.      

Peppy

I think it was after hurricane Katrina the company we get our foam from started selling soy foam. Now their entire seating foam line has soy in it. 60% I think. Koosh natural is the foam from Foamite. I can't tell it apart from normal foam aside from the green tint. It's available in several densities and thickneses.

In my mind it has nothing to do with saving the earth and more to do with not paying for oil. To think it's more 'green' than normal foam is silly. What powers the tractor? What is the pesticide and fertilizer made of? We don't market it as enviromental, it's just an interesting side note. Clay is right, what's 'green' about landfill?
☠ ✄ ✂ ✁ ✂ ✃ ✄ ✌ ✄ ✂ ✁  ✂ ✃ ✄  ✁ ✃ ☠
http://www.facebook.com/greybruceupholstering
☠ ✄ ✂ ✁ ✂ ✃ ✄ ✌ ✄ ✂ ✁  ✂ ✃ ✄  ✁ ✃ ☠

Mojo

Quote from: scottymc on January 26, 2011, 12:31:05 pm
Cotton canvas was no good as the cotton had to be grown using enviro friendly practices, but its recyclable? no not good enough, then they suggest hemp

Funny you mention hemp. I had a flight back to the States out of Sydney but I had a layover in Kiwi land. So I wandered the airport in Auckland and came across a shop there that sold hemp clothes. I found a shirt, all made from hemp that I fell in love with. It was the most comfortable and great feeling shirt I ever touched.

The clerk then said " you may problems going through customs with this shirt if the dope sniffing dogs are working ".

Hello !!!!! ........... what the hell are you doing selling hemp anything in an airport if the drug dogs will catch it and you get taken into a room for a cavity search because customs doesn't believe your story ?

I wonder about those Kiwi's. :)

Chris