Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
  • Welcome to The Upholster.com Forum. Please login or sign up.

October 06, 2024, 07:27:19 am

News:

Welcome to our new upholstery forum with an updated theme and improved functionality. We welcome your comments and questions to our forum! Visit our main website, Upholster.com, for our extensive supply of upholstery products, instructional information and videos, and much more.

Need help on estimating vinyl

Started by sunshine_n_pc, January 02, 2011, 10:56:32 am

Previous topic - Next topic

sunshine_n_pc

I am finally ready to order the vinyl to recover the seats in a 20 foot Hurricane deck boat.  I did a rough estimate of the seats and tried to draw out the layout for cutting the pieces to try to estimate the yardage.   I came up with a total of about 30 yards - using 3 different colors.  I never would have quessed that I would need this much - is this any where near accurate? 

These are the 3 seating areas, plus there is an oversized captains chair that is completely covered.

Any ideas on if I am in the right ballpark with my estimate  -  I don't mind having extras, just not several hundred dollars worth of extras :)

Thanks -CeCe

Mike8560

i dont know what size hurricane but that sounds way too much
i generally get about 15 (one color lets say) and have a few extra yards still.

SHHR

30 yards would be 90 feet and sounds high. I can't see in the pics where all of the seams are, but I would also guess around 15 yards. I've done similar wrap around seats that were originally one piece and would have had to order more material to do this on a piece that may only be 12" or 18"wide. I've ok'd it with the customer before to add some seams around the seat in strategic locations so I could buy less material with the narrower width, The only thing to remember there is does that add to the labor amount a lot while trying to save a little of vinyl?
Kyle

JuneC

I agree with Mike - 15 yards roughly.  For you accent colors, measure the longest piece (without a seam) and that'll be how much you need of your color.  15 for the white should be more than enough.  Just take a few minutes to lay out your pattern before starting to cut. 

June
"Horse sense is the thing a horse has which keeps it from betting on people."

W. C. Fields

sunshine_n_pc

Thanks everyone - that sounds a lot better - I appreciate the help.

Darren Henry

QuoteI did a rough estimate of the seats and tried to draw out the layout for cutting the pieces to try to estimate the yardage.

Not to be a smart alack, but I used to always do that too but I treated it like the game "tetrus". This piece fits above that piece, and if I turn that piece it goes beside that one------ .
Life is a short one way trip, don't blow it!Live hard,die young and leave no ill regrets!

Mike8560

Quote from: Darren Henry on January 05, 2011, 05:53:23 pm
QuoteI did a rough estimate of the seats and tried to draw out the layout for cutting the pieces to try to estimate the yardage.

Not to be a smart alack, but I used to always do that too but I treated it like the game "tetrus". This piece fits above that piece, and if I turn that piece it goes beside that one------ .
thats hoe i started darren now when i cut the pieces out i turn thenm to use the least and i may have a few yads left over for next time i try to get the same color all allot to uise the extra

stitcher_guy

Yep to Darren.

For those seating areas, I'd start with 8 yards of white, two yards each of teal, black and gray. Buy in more white if you run short. I hate to have a ton left over. It's never enough to completely finish a second job, and it's always too costly to have it laying around.