Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
  • Welcome to The Upholster.com Forum. Please login or sign up.

July 07, 2024, 07:44:17 am

News:

Welcome to our new upholstery forum with an updated theme and improved functionality. We welcome your comments and questions to our forum! Visit our main website, Upholster.com, for our extensive supply of upholstery products, instructional information and videos, and much more.

Stitches Per Inch

Started by mpm32, December 21, 2010, 07:02:12 am

Previous topic - Next topic

mpm32

When doing a vinyl boat interior, how many stitches per inch should I be shooting for?

bobbin

I really can't tell you "how many stitches per inch" is best.  The calibrations on machines are frequently out of synch with inches, so I've learned to just run a small stitch test to check tension settings and see if I like the look of the stithches on the fabric in question.  Generally, though, I tend to prefer a slightly longer stitch on in vinyls and will often find myself loosening the tensions just a tad, too. 

Mike8560

Funny I like a shorter stitch on vinlt cushions. He deSon when I first started I copied what inwas doing   
And 2 if doing a single stich and thebco er is tight somtimes yoincN see between the stitches that just me   
And a longer stitch on canvas.

Gregg @ Keystone Sewing

December 22, 2010, 05:58:40 am #3 Last Edit: December 22, 2010, 06:01:31 am by Gregg @ Keystone Sewing
I was waiting before putting myself out there for this one.  No hard and fast rules here, but six to seven stitches per inch (lines in between the needle holes = one stitch) is a good starting point.  Too many stitches, and you risk perforating the material.  Not enough stitches and we don't have enough thread/stitches to keep things together.  

That said, I DO have a hard and fast article from A & E on my web site, that goes into way too much detail, but if we absolutely must, get out your calculators, get ready, get set, here it is; https://www.keysew.com/Demo_images/Selecting-the-right-SPI-2-5-10.pdf

scarab29

Just remember with vinyl if the stitch is too small it will tear apart. Try stitching some scrap and the try to tear it apart. If it rips along the stitch/seam , it's too small !!
duct tape is like the force . it has a light side , a dark side , and holds the universe together.

mpm32

Excellent. Thanks for the advice!