Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
  • Welcome to The Upholster.com Forum. Please login or sign up.

September 28, 2024, 06:19:08 pm

News:

Welcome to our new upholstery forum with an updated theme and improved functionality. We welcome your comments and questions to our forum! Visit our main website, Upholster.com, for our extensive supply of upholstery products, instructional information and videos, and much more.

anyone know how to cover a Danish modern "C" curve seat?

Started by adlockwood, December 12, 2010, 01:10:51 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

adlockwood

The chair is a large concave curve, in one piece with corded edge and side panels.  Of course, in imitation leather. I can't get it tight on the extreme seat curve, and at my wit's end. It has 4 buttons across the headrest, and 4 across the seat, but no pleats or seams

kodydog

Sounds like a neat chair. Danish furniture can be tricky especially a concave curve in vinyl. A picture sure would help. And you'll get a lot more responses if you post in general discussion. All I can tell you without seeing it is try using a hot blow dryer to soften the vinyl while you pull a little at a time up and down and side to side. I know the feeling if you pull to much it'll bridge and not enough it wrinkles. It's got to be just right.
There cannot be a crisis next week. My schedule is already full.
http://northfloridachair.com/index.html

adlockwood

Thanks for your help - I may get a picture posted (it's stripped, of course) because I need everyone's ideas  before I try a second time. I am debating covering the cotton first to secure it; and or taking the cording and the sides apart and just doing the face piece first.  I have been thinking about it for 2 weeks!

kodydog

Here's another idea I have. When doing a barrel chair the instinct is to first pull it side to side to help get the slack out. What I do is first loosely base tack it with about 12 staples. This gets it centered and holds it in place. Then I tighten it, first the top then the bottom. When this is done I pull side to side just enough to get the wrinkles out. To tell if it's tight enough, push in the center and see if it wrinkles.

Is their one continuous piece of fabric from the bottom of the frame to the back of the chair? If their is I can see why your having a problem. Most manufactures would put a border on the front of the seat. 
There cannot be a crisis next week. My schedule is already full.
http://northfloridachair.com/index.html