Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
  • Welcome to The Upholster.com Forum. Please login or sign up.

July 08, 2024, 06:33:52 am

News:

Welcome to our new upholstery forum with an updated theme and improved functionality. We welcome your comments and questions to our forum! Visit our main website, Upholster.com, for our extensive supply of upholstery products, instructional information and videos, and much more.

Eastman style snowmobile seat

Started by crammage, December 07, 2010, 08:33:00 am

Previous topic - Next topic

crammage

I have a client that has asked me to create an Eastman style snowmobile seat.  He's an engineer so he's give me the exact profile and mock up that he wants.

My question has to do with what foam to use.  Since we are building this from scratch I'm not sure the best type and density to use.  He does plan on using the snowmobile in vintage races.

Any suggestions?

thanks
clay

Mr. HMP

use a firm foam. too soft of a foam will crush out in no time.
you can also use two different firmnest foams with the hard on the bottom and something softer on top
usually I put at least 3" of open cell with a firmness of about 90-100lbs
good luck, terry

penguin

if he hasn't done so already he'll want to check the rules where he plans to race-some have restrictions on modifying the seat

Mike8560

December 07, 2010, 10:51:01 am #3 Last Edit: December 07, 2010, 01:38:27 pm by Mike8560
I can't help oN. The materis biuf In all my dealingz in all forms of work I've done   of it's for a engineer
RUN  fast and don't look back.

JuneC

Quote from: Mike8560 on December 07, 2010, 10:51:01 am
I can't help o. The materis bit in all my dealing in all forms of work ove done of it for a engimeer
RUN  fast abd don't look back.

Now ain't that the truth...  (apologies to you ex-engineers on here who now upholster).  They can be the most nit-picky of all breeds on things they have no knowledge of - like upholstery materials and techniques.  Some will make you crazy by demanding explanations of the most minute detail. - ad nauseum. 

June
"Horse sense is the thing a horse has which keeps it from betting on people."

W. C. Fields

crammage

Yeah, you should see the sample photo he brought me, it's all marked up with calculations.  Fortunately I've done other pieces for this couple so I think I know what they are expecting.  He's also made it easy for me by providing the profile he wants to EXACT scale.  He's done extensive research and knows what he wants, I just have to create it to specs.  No pressure!  Actually I prefer that, then I don't have to guess if it's what they want.

Clay