Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
  • Welcome to The Upholster.com Forum. Please login or sign up.

July 08, 2024, 08:06:52 am

News:

Welcome to our new upholstery forum with an updated theme and improved functionality. We welcome your comments and questions to our forum! Visit our main website, Upholster.com, for our extensive supply of upholstery products, instructional information and videos, and much more.

Foam saw (shameless "plug")

Started by bobbin, October 18, 2010, 04:42:20 am

Previous topic - Next topic

scottymc

This is the best machine that I have used for cutting foam but it's a tad to expensive.

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/Lightning-8-fabric-cutter-/200535945723?pt=AU Sewing&hash=item2eb0dfb1fb

Peppy

We do a lot of sailboat cushions and I'd be lost without the 12"blade on the Bosch. When you need a "true" square edge I raise the foam on scraps of 1/2" ply. This brings the foam up to the same level as the shoe and takes the wieght off it making it easier to cut.

Funny, eh? We have 2 bosch's at the shop but now I really want a bandsaw. "When does it stop Peppy?!?" 
☠ ✄ ✂ ✁ ✂ ✃ ✄ ✌ ✄ ✂ ✁  ✂ ✃ ✄  ✁ ✃ ☠
http://www.facebook.com/greybruceupholstering

Peppy

Had to make three of these things last week,

and it got me thinking about turkey knives.

I don't make things like this everyday, thankfully,

but I'm really thankful it didn't take all day. I'm sure it could be done with a turkey knife but it wouldn't make a crappy job any less uncrappy.

MinUph

Peppy
  Wouldn't be as easy with turkey knife now would it? My Bosch is only 5" I need an 8" blade set for it. Can't afford it right now though.
Paul
Minichillo's Upholstery
Website

bobbin

The first shop I worked for had a Bosch foam saw.  I didn't give it much thought until I started working for a different shop.  There, they used an electric carving knife.  I was shocked, frankly.  It was slow, left a jagged cut edge, and was brutally hard on your hands; esp. when cutting closed cell foam.  It took 2+ yrs. of lobbying on my part to get a proper foam saw into the shop... it's the Acu-Cutter 350, so only one blade moves, but what an improvement in overall ease, speed, and accuracy! (now if I'd only be permitted to use silicone spray). 

My new Acu-Cutter 500 cuts like a dream.  8" blades and both move, like the Bosch.  And I use silicone spray, too!  If I'm not mistaken, it will accept 12" blades, too. 

JuneC

Bobbin and Peppy, are the foam saws you're using capable of trimming foam well?  I've had moderate success with a turkey carver and lots of silicone, but it won't do any "fine tuning".  You can't trim anything less than say, 1/2" off the edge.  The foam just compresses and/or the knife blades escape due to the lower pressure (I assume) of the already-cut edge.

June
"Horse sense is the thing a horse has which keeps it from betting on people."

W. C. Fields

Saddleman

I have the Bosch foam saw with the 12" blades.  8)  I do not use the shoe on mine because I use it for carving and not cutting slabs.  You can do some thin shaving with it, but it is not perfect. 

If I need to cut any thin slices off of sheets or cut 1" foam down to 1/2'...etc I will use the bandsaw and rip fence.  That is limited to the 6" depth of cut on the bandsaw though.

fragged8

hiya

In a former life i used to make the plastic components for the inside of Bosch motors
and they were really bad because of the trash tooling . I wouldn't by Bosch anything.

Funnily enough though i've been looking around for a foam saw and may try an 8"
cloth saw because it think it will do cloth and foam, I know someone who has one so
i'll have to try it out.

Rich

bobbin

June, I don't think any foam saw is going to give you a really clean edge when you're trying to shave off pretty small amounts of foam.  But the saw will give a very straight, clean accurate cut right out of the gate.  For purposes of cushion foam (I do a lot of cushion work) a less than perfect cut really doesn't make a huge difference, certainly nothing a layer of batting or sew-foam can't cure.  Interestingly, I actually prefer the electric knife when I have to cut bevels in V berth cushions or to get the right "tilt" on seat backs.  Again, a perfectly straight edge isn't really necessary since the foam is generally overcut and poufs out the covers.   Hope this helps.

That set up for the electric knife on You Tube is very, very clever! I think I may just look at it more closely and see what can't be rigged up here.  Thanks for posting that!!

Peppy

Quote from: JuneC on November 10, 2010, 05:39:50 am
Bobbin and Peppy, are the foam saws you're using capable of trimming foam well?

Like Saddleman says, It's not a great shaver. Although it depends on the density, higher densities shave better. It helps to silicon it up and make up and down sawing motions with the saw and take it slow. But ya, it's better taking chunks.

I don't mean to say the bosch is the best in the world, or the answer to all life's problems,  just that it's better than a turkey knife. I was the guy that dropped the bosch for the last time (after 10 years) and it died. While it was being fixed the boss bought a new one (why we have 2) but we had 2 months where we used everything else. Yes, a turkey knife works. Yes, a hand saw with silicone works. Yes a turkey knife in a router table might work (WATCH YOUR ARMS DUDE!!!!!!) But we're in the foam cutting business. It only makes sense we'd have a foam saw. My brother's a carpenter, even though it might save him a couple bucks I don't think he's going to put a hand saw in a paint shaker.

scottymc

I was up in the big smoke at Daley's, a large auto trim supply shop that has warehouses in all the capitals on east coast Australia and I spied a pile of leaflets. I tried to upload it but no go, any way it was for a Bosch foam cutter with a 300mm blade, the exact same one I bought at a closing down sale , I had to be talked into buying it for $150.00. The price on the leaflet is $1125.00+gst, so that makes a grand total of $1237.50 and yes they do sell them was the answer, we would not stock them otherwise. 

ahkahn

Yep, we've been selling the Acu-Cutters for probably 8 years now.  It's a nice machine.  Never heard a complaint.  We've also been selling the Bosch's for geez... many many years... and they're great machines too.  The biggest difference is the Acu-Cutter is a 1 piece unit with only blade replacements.  The Bosch can swap out the guides, footplates, blades, etc.  The Acu-Cutter is actually a Black & Decker motor.  We use Bosch's in house at all of our locations.  I also advise DIY'ers to use the turkey carving knives.  Always remember your silicone!

http://www.duboisfabrics.com/category_s/250.htm

That's a link to the Acu-Cutters - we don't have the Bosch's online yet, but you can call and we've got em. 

-Andrew

Gregg @ Keystone Sewing

Intresting read here. 

Nothing new to me, but DOES confirm what a lot of we have been telling our customers.  Not to steal anyones thunder here, but we also stock and sell Acu-cutters and replacement blades as well. 

JuneC

Greg, I didn't see the Acu-cutter 500 model Bobbin described on your site.  I assume you can get those as well? 

BTW,  I'm in love  :-*   ....  with this.....

http://www.keysew.com/union_special_38200c.htm

Maybe if I take out a second mortgage...  sell my husband...  I dunno.  ::)

June
"Horse sense is the thing a horse has which keeps it from betting on people."

W. C. Fields