Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
  • Welcome to The Upholster.com Forum. Please login or sign up.

September 15, 2024, 01:44:23 pm

News:

Welcome to our new upholstery forum with an updated theme and improved functionality. We welcome your comments and questions to our forum! Visit our main website, Upholster.com, for our extensive supply of upholstery products, instructional information and videos, and much more.

my first upholstery jobs,

Started by daveich, November 07, 2010, 05:41:15 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

daveich

my first upholstery jobs, they are for myself. i got a machine in febuary and have been trying a few thing. the best one i do not have a picture on photobucket yet. it is a box i did for my grandson. using all the colors i have. i took a speaker box cut out the front one inch foam inside and out. cover it in all the colors i had. he climbs in and out, watch tv sitting in it. he is one. i hope these links come out right. if not sorry. thanks don

fragged8

hiya Dude

I don't do much upholstery but for first attempts they look fairly good,
stick at it and you'll get better and better.

Rich UK

daveich

thanks Rick i was begining think no one had anything to say about them or are they that bad that no wanted to say anything. the easyest was the sewing chair that i made out of a jeep seat. thanks agin later Don

Peppy

Not bad at all. Lost in the shuffle probably. My kids are my favorite clients and the only ones I let help. Doing is the best way to learn. Keep going!
☠ ✄ ✂ ✁ ✂ ✃ ✄ ✌ ✄ ✂ ✁  ✂ ✃ ✄  ✁ ✃ ☠
http://www.facebook.com/greybruceupholstering
☠ ✄ ✂ ✁ ✂ ✃ ✄ ✌ ✄ ✂ ✁  ✂ ✃ ✄  ✁ ✃ ☠

Mojo

All of us started from scratch. Not one of us was born a great stitcher or had all the knowledge and skill on our first project.

I started out with small projects myself and grew from there. If things didn't look right, I tore them apart and started over. I was an extremely harsh critic of my work and thankfully my wife was an honest critic and showed me where I went wrong. If I make anything I look right away for the faults and mistakes and try and learn from them. That is what makes you better.

Go back and look over your projects and find the mistakes and then think of how you can make them better.

I have to say you took on some very ambitious projects for your first go. I think they came out OK for your first run and I am sure you learned a lot from them.

Good for you and keep at it. Like anything in life it takes practice and over time it will all fall into place.

Chris

daveich

Thanks guys
yes they were a litttel ambitious projects but they are for my cars and i have learned a lot of tricks and have pulled thing back apart. i now have a good stapuler that makes it a lot easyer to get thinks lined up and streched over before sewing. that purple one is just the upper divers seat back cover i have the make 7 more panels and get them to line up for my 1951 ford. the orange and white is for my 1938 ford and i have the back seat to do. then all the trim in both cars. the kids are coming up with thing i need to do to there cars. i work as an operator at a power plant 12hours day 4 days a week so only weekend for me for another year then i retire. thanks Don

Mojo

Early in my career I worked in a power plant. I Was a boiler operator at the start in a coal fired plant then moved to stoker boilers as a fireman and then on to a new coal fired plant.

The work gets boring after while but the pay was great. The hours sucked and I spent the first few years working Christmas. :) I missed alot of the kids activities as well doing shift work. That is the problem with working in operations.

I bet you cannot wait for retirement. :)

Chris

daveich

Chris
This is a coal plant owned by the AIR FORCE IN ALASKA and the controls are older then i am the old air controls that were out dated when they put them in here. i have been working for the goverment for 35 years this is the most boring job i have ever had. i hate the hour even with 3 days off. i came here for my high three. the more i make on base pay the more i get when i retire. it is figued on the highest pay during your service. well that will be the last three for me. no i can not wait to retire and get away from -50 temps. later Don

Mojo

Old outdated controls can make an operators life miserable. The last unit I worked on had some decent controls which was good. It was a 1,800 PSI 200 MW unit.

I refused all promotions to move up because I wanted into the corporate end of things. I wanted a marketing job badly and thankfully it happened. I was so happy to leave shift work behind.

I believe if memory serves me right we had Johnson controls. They went back and upgraded to Honeywell. It was so long ago I can barely remember. :)

Chris