Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
  • Welcome to The Upholster.com Forum. Please login or sign up.

July 02, 2024, 10:52:52 pm

News:

Welcome to our new upholstery forum with an updated theme and improved functionality. We welcome your comments and questions to our forum! Visit our main website, Upholster.com, for our extensive supply of upholstery products, instructional information and videos, and much more.

Setup questions for sewing cordura cusions on a Pfaff 145

Started by barrys, November 04, 2010, 02:38:09 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

barrys

I've already asked about this in some posts a while back and bobbin replied with tons of useful info.  Just wanted to make sure I had it all correct...
I want to sew some large cusions with welted edges and a zipper out of Cordura just because I have the cordura (would use Phifertex or Sunbrella if I was shopping fresh).
I wanted to know if this setup is OK:
#18 needle.
#92 Star Ultra-Dee thread.
"Presser" style foot where possible -- will be using the welt foot a lot though too as required.
Tension way low -- upper and lower.
Presser foot pressure backed way off.

Does that sound OK?

sofadoc

That #18 needle might be a little flimsy. You can always move up a size if the thread is breaking. But I don't do much Sunbrella type stuff. If that's what bobbin said before, I'm sure it's right.
"Perfection is the greatest enemy of profitability" - Mark Cuban

barrys

This was the thread with Bobbin's comments:
http://get-up-and-go.com/upholstery-forum/index.php?topic=7043.0
I need to follow up on that advice -- especially the stuff about adjusting the tension on the bias. 
But, there was no recommendation on needle or thread.

In another thread, Mike802 recommended 17 needles with #69 thread.  That would probably work well, but I have neither of those.

So, I have 18-24 needles and 92 thread.  I was just guessing that the thinner needle would be a little easier on the lightweight cordura.  Maybe I'll try 20.  I don't have a lot of extra fabric so I can't experiment with a sample cushion or anything.