Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
  • Welcome to The Upholster.com Forum. Please login or sign up.

June 28, 2024, 02:21:36 pm

News:

Welcome to our new upholstery forum with an updated theme and improved functionality. We welcome your comments and questions to our forum! Visit our main website, Upholster.com, for our extensive supply of upholstery products, instructional information and videos, and much more.

Push fastener recycling

Started by fingers, October 30, 2010, 04:38:50 am

Previous topic - Next topic

fingers

Is there a way of 'refreshing' push fasteners? I've dropped them in very hot water w/ moderate results. They're going into plywood.....

SHHR

Although they can can be re-used  (with careful removal), once they're done that's it. New ones are cheap and if you need just a few, a local auto parts store probably has them (usually $3-$5 for a 5 pack). It's cheaper though to buy in bulk. Suppliers on this site will have them and a box of 5 or 100 will be pennies a piece.
Kyle

fingers

Thanks Kyle. I have a couple styles I keep handy but these are a variant of the norm. In this case the little buggers are held in a socket molded into a plastic outside back by way of a crimped washer, the finned portion protrudes from that and is pushed into the plywood. A better arrangement than usual as the entire outside back cover is not lost if one or more is damaged IF more could be had by Monday noon when the project is to be delivered.
I will check into the supply page for future reference