Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
  • Welcome to The Upholster.com Forum. Please login or sign up.

July 01, 2024, 12:19:57 am

News:

Welcome to our new upholstery forum with an updated theme and improved functionality. We welcome your comments and questions to our forum! Visit our main website, Upholster.com, for our extensive supply of upholstery products, instructional information and videos, and much more.

what size thread do you guys use for stitching areas around airbags?

Started by seamsperfect, August 22, 2010, 08:23:55 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

seamsperfect

I am redoing 2 seats in a 350z in microsuede.    I usually use a 92 thread to sew my panels together.  Right around the airbag on the sides of the seats,  should I use a 69?
TIA,
Kevin

jeepdoc

ive looked for info on this for somethime now no one can tell me anything probably because its a safety item. Have you ever seen one of those things go off pretty powerful though. Ive looked at the stock stiching on these seats and looks all to be the same type of thread I wish I could find out for sure also

seamsperfect

Quote from: jeepdoc on August 23, 2010, 07:17:15 pm
ive looked for info on this for somethime now no one can tell me anything probably because its a safety item. Have you ever seen one of those things go off pretty powerful though. Ive looked at the stock stiching on these seats and looks all to be the same type of thread I wish I could find out for sure also

Yeah I was talking to Russ about it and as you mentioned the force of the airbag would rip right through cloth.  I think I am going to use the 92.
Kevin

jeepdoc

Kevin
        The only thing Ive been able to find out more reseach today is to make sure not to change the shape or contour of the sides of the seats also. They (engineers) shape the seats in such away that the air bag will deploy in a certian direction as well
Jeff