Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
  • Welcome to The Upholster.com Forum. Please login or sign up.

June 30, 2024, 11:47:06 pm

News:

Welcome to our new upholstery forum with an updated theme and improved functionality. We welcome your comments and questions to our forum! Visit our main website, Upholster.com, for our extensive supply of upholstery products, instructional information and videos, and much more.

White convertible top material

Started by drunknpirate, August 13, 2010, 07:55:21 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

drunknpirate

I have a customer looking for a white cockpit top for his WW1 era bi plane. I made a black cover for him using haarts cloth convertible top material that he loves. Now I need to find a similair white cloth material to use for a second cover. Haarts doesnt make anythhing in white. It has to be thick so no boat cover material. Any leads on a supplier? thanks in advance.

SHHR

I've ordered it from Rochford Supply before, I just checked their website and they still show it.
Kyle

stitcher_guy

Call Miami and get some Sailcloth (vinylish convertible top material). It's not cheap, but very heavy.

Mike8560

isnt Weblon marine fabvric heavy enough. or there there heavier stuff Herculite 80 pirate arnt you over Englewood way?

ahkahn

Yep, we sell it too.  No, it's not cheap.  For those looking for the black German Stayfast, we carry it at a VERY special price.  We have an inside deal with someone and can sell it way below going price.   Yes, it's first quality...

-Andrew

stitcher_guy

Cool, Andrew. I'm make sure to remember that. I don't get much call for custom-made tops, but every now and then.

I posted pics on here a few weeks ago of a dune buggy with a Stayfast cloth top. What I did was recycle the whole top off of a PT Cruiser. Got a glass back window, the whole works. It looks really cool on it.

I've 'done that other times, too. You pull a top (usually the Stayfast is doable for this) that has issues but the material isn't worn out. I just cut out the large panels and store them away in my stacks.

poppy79424

The sailcloth looks like canvas but is vinyl. Its what is on most american car tops these days.

Quote from: drunknpirate on August 13, 2010, 07:55:21 pm
I have a customer looking for a white cockpit top for his WW1 era bi plane. I made a black cover for him using haarts cloth convertible top material that he loves. Now I need to find a similair white cloth material to use for a second cover. Haarts doesnt make anythhing in white. It has to be thick so no boat cover material. Any leads on a supplier? thanks in advance.

poppy79424

I believe the German cloth top material is called Sonnenland. Stay fast is made by hartzz in america, but hartzz imports the Sonnenland from Germany.

Quote from: ahkahn on August 20, 2010, 02:37:06 am
Yep, we sell it too.  No, it's not cheap.  For those looking for the black German Stayfast, we carry it at a VERY special price.  We have an inside deal with someone and can sell it way below going price.   Yes, it's first quality...

-Andrew

ahkahn

There are actually a few different German materials.  There is "German Stayfast", the higher end "Sonnenland", and the highest end "Sonnendecke".   In my opinion (I know, others will throw specs and tech data at me), they are all pretty much the same.  The only major difference is the weight.

-Andrew

poppy79424

Sonnenland is genuine german twill weave cloth top material. Sonnendecke is Haartz superior quality Twillfast with German backing to simulate original German canvas. Stayfast is also made by Haartz.  There is no German stayfast. GAHH price for the real german cloth isnt very much more than the stayfast  or Sonnendecke. They also have a lifetime warrentee on thier back glasses not comming unglued.

Quote from: ahkahn on August 21, 2010, 08:05:16 am
There are actually a few different German materials.  There is "German Stayfast", the higher end "Sonnenland", and the highest end "Sonnendecke".   In my opinion (I know, others will throw specs and tech data at me), they are all pretty much the same.  The only major difference is the weight.

-Andrew

poppy79424

Haartz used to call thier Sonnendecke, Stayfast G, stayfast with the lil chicken foot pattern on the back side of the material.

stitcher_guy

Whenever I order a top, it's always either "the vinyly stuff" or "that other stuff." Seems to work.

Alright. I'm kidding. Sort of.  :P

ahkahn

Yeah, there is a difference between the Stayfast and German Stayfast...  the backside has a criss-cross pattern.  The frontside looks the same.

Yes, Stitcher, we offer either "Cloth" or "Vinyl" unless specified otherwise...  K.I.S.S. method...

-Andrew