Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
  • Welcome to The Upholster.com Forum. Please login or sign up.

July 08, 2024, 06:05:37 am

News:

Welcome to our new upholstery forum with an updated theme and improved functionality. We welcome your comments and questions to our forum! Visit our main website, Upholster.com, for our extensive supply of upholstery products, instructional information and videos, and much more.

Getting Close

Started by Mojo, August 02, 2010, 05:07:00 am

Previous topic - Next topic

Mojo

I am getting close to having the upholstery shop finished. It has been a long haul but we are starting to get real excited as the work is almost done.

I have been slow on the new shop because of the chemo treatments so progress has crawled along. But since my darling wife got back from Australia she has jumped in with both feet and really helped a great deal in getting it finished off. I couldn't have got this far without her.

Unfortunately her high school is starting back up for the year so she has to return to the classroom Wednesday. Still she got me to the point where I should be done in a week or so.

I have to finish installing the cabinetry for her portion of the shop and then I can start making my cutting table and installing shelves.

I will be posting photos of the finished product on here for ya'll to see.

I am geeked. Finally, after sewing in a dang enclosed trailer for the last couple years I will have a nice climate controlled place to sew. Yee Haa ;D.

Chris

Toledo Mach. Sales

Sounds good!! Maybe now you'll have better lighting & won't be jamming the NEW machine up!! ;)
Bob
We sell New& Used Industrial Sewing Machines,Parts,Needles & Thread.
Toll-Free#1-866-362-7397

Mojo

Bob:

I have 6 - 4 ft fluorescent lights in this room so hopefully no planes will land here thinking its an airport runway. :)

My machine jamming was your fault anyways. You never told me not to wind bobbins with thread still in the needle. Geesshhh.......Now I am wondering what else you haven't told me :)

( When in doubt, blame the dealer.......LOL.... )

Chris

Mike8560

I wish  I wasn'. 4 or 5 hours south or I could lend a helping hand chris. 

hdflame

Congrats on getting the new shop finished, Chris!  Can't wait to see some pictures. 

Right now I have a climate controlled enviroment to work in but it's only 10' X 12'! ???  I can't wait till I can build me a bigger shop.  For now, guess I'll just put up with the spare bedroom! ;D

Glad you're feeling good enough to get some work done on it.  Just don't over do it....too much too quick.
Bobby
www.riddlescustomupholstery.com
www.sunstopper.biz
Several Old Singers
Elna SU
Older Union Special
BRAND NEW Highlead GC0618-1-SC
and a new Cobra Class 4 Leather Machine  ;)

lruthb

Mojo you go!!
It would be so easy to sit back and do nothing for you right now. I admire people like you that just keep on going.
As far as the shop goes CA is the way to go for me.( any for that matter ) I really believe that a bigger shop always seems better. I have found that no matter the size I always seem to fill it up. Thus a bigger shop would seem nice. I look forward to the pics

bobbin

I hear you on how long it takes to get a new shop set up and pretty much ready to roll.  If you'd asked me in '07 if I'd still be at in '10, I'd have laughed.  But toss in a couple of family deaths, the death of a good friend, the ups and downs that go along with it, and the energy level required to "bring it on home" sorta petered out for awhile there.  Which was OK.  It takes time to sort through stuff and think about the way you want to work in the future. 

I laughed at the comment about the flourescent lights, too.  My BIL calls my shop "the NASA clean room" and we've all laughed that at night with the lights on it reminds us of the space ship in "Close Encounters Of The Third Kind".  But good lighting is really important. 

It will be fun to see photos of your new digs and your spiffy new cutting table.  Can't wait. 

Mike8560

MY workspace must be wtice your size Chris Ive got 6, 8 foot floresents.

Mojo

Thanks everyone for the encouragement. It has been real tough getting this shop done but, I am almost there.

I got the table all assembled tonight but need to finish the outside with wainscoating. I did manage to
get an 8 ft shelf built underneath it for storage. The other side is all open and I plan on using a large cart on wheels that I can store foam or whatever on. I can wheel it under the table and out of the way or wheel it out to get what I need from the stock on it.

Because of the way the room is laid out I had to put together the side piece next to me on my left and hinge it. That way I can get in and out by simply lifting up and out of my way.

I built the cutting table with one end that is open so the wife can use it for her machines. She typically keeps them stored and then pulls them out and uses them as needed. She will be using the end of the cutting table as her sewing table.

Overall, a lot of thought went into this shop. Hopefully it will work out well. If not I will make adjustments so it does work.

I can say this though, it beats the hell out of working out of an 8 ft enclosed trailer. :)  :)  :)

Thanks again everyone for your support. Once the room is finished I will post a lot of pictures.

Chris

fragged8

hiya

Sounds sweet Chris, i cant wait to see the pics. Just to have somewhere clean to work
sounds good to me right now ,

Just don't over do it, you don't want to get it done and knock yourself
back in the process.

Rich