Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
  • Welcome to The Upholster.com Forum. Please login or sign up.

June 26, 2024, 02:02:55 am

News:

Welcome to our new upholstery forum with an updated theme and improved functionality. We welcome your comments and questions to our forum! Visit our main website, Upholster.com, for our extensive supply of upholstery products, instructional information and videos, and much more.

Banquette cushions

Started by gene, November 21, 2018, 02:46:37 am

Previous topic - Next topic

gene

November 21, 2018, 02:46:37 am Last Edit: November 21, 2018, 02:47:06 am by gene
Delivery today for new banquette cushions. 5 sided banquette in a house - brand new build. The seat cushion is one piece. The back cushion was originally one piece that wrapped around beautifully. It looked great but it did not fit. I had to redo it into 5 separate back cushions. I'm really disappointed but I had no choice. I went with Paul's suggestion to use 2" hook and loop to attach the back cushions to the wall.

The fabric takes 6 months to order and then another 2 months to have a plastic coating put over the fabric. They wanted it for Thanksgiving tomorrow.

What I did wrong with the back cushion: First I made accurate measurements. The 5 back wooden panels flair up because the carpenters did not make things square. One panel is 21" across the bottom and 23" across the top, and 14" high, for example. I made a paper template for the seat cushions, and then I used the measurements on the paper template for the back cushion instead of using my notes/measurements for the back cushion.

This may be the worst mistake I've made. I was cruising along enjoying my deadlines for the holiday season and then this happened. I'm now backed up and working Sundays for the rest of the year - and a few hours on Thanksgiving day.

I'll post pictures if it turns out OK.

gene
QUALITY DOES NOT COST, IT PAYS!

kodydog

The worse thing about Banquettes is the piece is not there in your shop to check things as you go along. The next worse thing is most carpenters do not know how to use a tape measure. They are never symmetrical. And the final worse thing is the customer is always standing right there during the install.
There cannot be a crisis next week. My schedule is already full.
http://northfloridachair.com/index.html

MinUph

Bankettes are ok. We have 267 corner bankettes to do 2 seats, 2 backs each. It will be fun.
Paul
Minichillo's Upholstery
Website

sofadoc

I quote those jobs several times a year. Almost never get them.
"Perfection is the greatest enemy of profitability" - Mark Cuban

65Buick

Sorry to hear that Gene. Tis good advice for me though as I have one coming up that will be a first job for a new designer.

SteveA

Gene - that is not like you.  I hope you don't beat yourself up too much over this.  I try to not do any calculations or suggestions for customers.  For instance an upholsterer brings me three bar stools and said the lady wants ebony.  I think of a black lacquer piano and make a sample gloss black.  It's refused - and they said just make it a little grayer.  I said no you must pick a color - I can't guess.  The upholsterer was getting frustrated because it wanted the job done.  I told him to tell the people to go to SW and pick out a color and I'll order it in lacquer.  They spend an hour at SW and couldn't find a color they liked. This is the kind of folks you have to deal with.  Anyway  the upholsterer comes into my place and pleads with me to make a grayer color.  So I take out a piece of steel wool and rub the black gloss down to flat - he shows it to the customer and she loves it.  I did the three chairs and rubbed them out to flat.  A sample really helped me