Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
  • Welcome to The Upholster.com Forum. Please login or sign up.

June 16, 2024, 10:29:07 pm

News:

Welcome to our new upholstery forum with an updated theme and improved functionality. We welcome your comments and questions to our forum! Visit our main website, Upholster.com, for our extensive supply of upholstery products, instructional information and videos, and much more.

Lear Jet Air Ambulance Projects

Started by NDAV8R, November 22, 2018, 09:11:37 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

NDAV8R

Hey Gang!   Well, it's been awhile since I posted anything since I have been pretty busy this last year. We took on a 5 airplane Lear Jet Air Ambulance conversion projects for one client to serve the State of Alaska. Between 4 of us (2 aviation mechanics, avionics tech and myself) we gutted the Lear 45s and installed a twin gurney configuration. 
Here is how it started...
I had to Fabricate and TIG weld a rear rack or shelf for medical equipment for all 5 jets. The prototype had to sustain a 7G weight load test (over 2000lbs) and become certified before they could go in.

Each Lear45 had to be rewired, plumbed, for vacuum, air, oxygen for all the medical equipment thru out the planes.

Here is how they turned out...

Now that the word is out that we have been doing this for awhile, we just started a Beechcraft KingAir 200 and a Pilatus PC-12.
  It is a real "test" for me since I had a "total" Knee replacement in August...just out for the surgery and a little rehab and I am back on the knees pad again...great.  I thought I would have time to complete my leather interior on my own Cessna 172M, but not yet. I will post that when I get done with that.
Bye for now,
Gale (NDAV8R)

Strive for Perfection...Settle for Excellence!

SteveA

Looks like a ton on onsite work - can't land the plane in your backyard to make it easier ?  Is it possible to post photos of the workshop ?
Hope the knee does well - I'm sure the orthopedist new if it wasn't done right you'd know why - quite a skill set you have there !
What of grade leather is used in those seats - looks premium -
SA

NDAV8R

Hey there Steve:
   Ya I wish I could take one home. A lot of time I am able to take anything home that I can haul in my minivan. However the flooring and fitting the welded rack amongst other things have to be done on location. Here is a photo of one of our hangers where I work...

As far as the leather, it is mostly 3 or 4 oz leather from Spinney Beck, Garret, or Douglass if your a cheapie. They all have to pass a burn test. Most are pretty spendy. You measure 5 times...cut once...you hope.

My Surgeon who did my knee, cut on the side of the knee, so I would not have to kneel on the scar tissue. Rehab is so important since you only get one chance at get your mobility back...PT was murder but it paid off.

baileyuph

November 24, 2018, 06:32:01 am #3 Last Edit: November 25, 2018, 03:12:04 pm by baileyuph
Gale,
Interesting reading - you have been busy!  Plenty there to keep you awake.

Keep us posted - thanks!

Doyle

Mojo

Gale:

Long time no see. Hope you are doing well.

That was a major conversion. Not many realize what a royal pain it is to work on aircraft. Everything has to be documented, FAA certified, fire retardant fabric, etc. That is what has kept me out of aviation work.

My buddy is a Lear instructor for Flight Safety. he said they are pretty good jets. I flew a twin diesel ( DIamond 42 ) several months ago. First all glass cockpit I have ever flown. It got REAL busy in the cockpit.

Great work as always. Take care of yourself and thanks for posting the pictures.

Mojo

kodydog

Quote from: NDAV8R on November 23, 2018, 12:41:40 pm
As far as the leather, it is mostly 3 or 4 oz leather from Spinney Beck, Garret, or Douglass if your a cheapie. They all have to pass a burn test. Most are pretty spendy. You measure 5 times...cut once...you hope.

4 oz is nearly double the thickness we use on furniture. Nice stuff, only the best for aeronautics. Your not joking when you say, measure 5 times...cut once.

Nice job Gale. Hope that new knee gives you many years of service.

There cannot be a crisis next week. My schedule is already full.
http://northfloridachair.com/index.html

gene

Excellent job. Thanks for the post. It's fun to see such high end work.

Are you able to heat a hanger like the one in your picture up there in ND? Or is working in the cold a part of that type of business?

gene
QUALITY DOES NOT COST, IT PAYS!

65Buick

NDAV8R

Quote from: gene on November 28, 2018, 05:08:32 am
Excellent job. Thanks for the post. It's fun to see such high end work.

Are you able to heat a hanger like the one in your picture up there in ND? Or is working in the cold a part of that type of business?

gene

Thanks Gene:
    Funny you should mention that about heating the cold hanger.  All of us in the shop have all our coats hanging on our toolboxes in the winter time. It gets to -40F at times and Man, when the Line Department (the crew who move the planes) move planes in or out of the hangers, we FREEZE! It really gets tough when they have to get the one in or out of a corner...they have to move all the other airplanes out first.  A lot of us try to work while they move, but sometimes we find other means of heat.  Back when heating was sky high, accounting said it cost close to $1000 each time to reheat the big hangers.