Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
  • Welcome to The Upholster.com Forum. Please login or sign up.

September 29, 2024, 12:35:53 am

News:

Welcome to our new upholstery forum with an updated theme and improved functionality. We welcome your comments and questions to our forum! Visit our main website, Upholster.com, for our extensive supply of upholstery products, instructional information and videos, and much more.

foam or rubberized hair???

Started by stegen140, September 22, 2017, 06:48:05 am

Previous topic - Next topic

stegen140

Greetings,

I'm reupholstering an old armchair but am confused as to what material to use for the inside back (23"l, 24"w) and inside arms (20"l, 19'w). I have a sheet of rubberized hair which should cover all or should I go with  foam? :

1) is it safe to assume that if I use the rubberized hair the mesh side goes against the frame? OK to affix sheet with staples?

2) as for foam research suggests medium density for inside back and arms but how thick?

Thank you!

p.s. I planned to reuse original horsehair which I diligently steamed but could not eliminate bugs...

SteveA

Bugs that steam can't kill ?   Mostly I try to copy what was there - I think you need to decide if you want a classical or a contemporary substrate.
A photo would be nice
SA

MinUph

Yes a picture would be very helpful.
Paul
Minichillo's Upholstery
Website

kodydog

Are you talking about "bugs" like, got to work the bugs out of this problem? Or are you talking about real live bugs?
There cannot be a crisis next week. My schedule is already full.
http://northfloridachair.com/index.html

baileyuph

The thickness of R. Hair you have should not prevent steam from getting rid of
the bug problem.  The thickness question you raised for the inside back and arms,
should be close to the original (assuming it is what you found in these areas) - and like I said steaming should prepare the original for reuse.

Didn't the hair have some cotton over it?

Must be a pretty old piece of furniture?

Doyle

Joys Shop

You can wash the original hair.   Enclose it in a pillow case.  Dbl fold the top and (with big stitches) sew the top closed
Put through your washing machine with VERY hot water and soap
Do not put the in the dryer  - will never dry that way
Lay it out on the floor (over a sheet) and spread out very thin
It will dry in a couple days
then is perfectly reusable