Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
  • Welcome to The Upholster.com Forum. Please login or sign up.

September 28, 2024, 03:10:59 pm

News:

Welcome to our new upholstery forum with an updated theme and improved functionality. We welcome your comments and questions to our forum! Visit our main website, Upholster.com, for our extensive supply of upholstery products, instructional information and videos, and much more.

Evaluation Upholstery cloth Fabrics

Started by baileyuph, July 31, 2017, 05:55:22 am

Previous topic - Next topic

baileyuph

This is another change over time, fabrics aren't near the same used long ago. 
What is a good fabric content that won't fray, workable, and will last?

In previous time, the blends were probably good, part nylon, part rayon (low %), even
part cotton, and I guess polyester?

Now, looking at samples and working with materials, I mostly see 100 % of a content.

I have gotten into more trouble (extra work) working with the fraying stuff.

I guess, lastly, the density of the fabric or weight, some can look good, sound good, but
are awfully thin.

Industry standards have changed - - so have fabric prices!

Doyle

kodydog

July 31, 2017, 09:03:22 am #1 Last Edit: July 31, 2017, 09:04:06 am by kodydog
My feeling on the fraying is because the middle man (suppliers) discount stores and furniture manufactures are so busy trying to boost profits and cut prices they are cutting costs by using loosely woven fabrics with less yarn in it and skipping the backing process all together. These days to work with a fabric that is backed is a rare pleasure. They often skip the stain protection step also.

We received a blue chenille recently that was full of creases. The fabric was shoved into a plastic bag and shipped with no tube. As I was trying to rub the creases out the dye came off onto my hand. I can only guess the dye setting process was skipped. When we called the supplier they simply said, will nobody else ever complained. The customer is dealing with it.
There cannot be a crisis next week. My schedule is already full.
http://northfloridachair.com/index.html

65Buick

Kody that's disgraceful that the dye came off.

I always ask for specs before I buy. If I can't have the info: double rubs, content, uv lightfastness, etc.. Then I won't buy it and will find someone else who is on the up & up.

kodydog

The sad thing is it was a COM shipped from California. The customer was on vacation when Rose called. Rose told her about the creases and that Chenille should always be shipped on a roll. Then Rose told her about the dye. When the lady got back from vacation she called Rose and told her she just received 5 more yards of the same fabric but this time insisted it be shipped on a roll. When Rose asked her about the dye the lady said, oh crap I forgot about that.

So now she has 10 yards of fabric she can't use. And the jobber has copped an attitude. That was 4 weeks ago, the chairs are stripped down and in storage. She paid a lot of money for 4 vintage dinning chairs, so I'm sure she still wants them. Were waiting to hear from her.
There cannot be a crisis next week. My schedule is already full.
http://northfloridachair.com/index.html

Mojo

Doyle, I cannot speak intelligently on fabric made for furniture. But in regards to acrylics and vinyls for awnings, etc. a lot has changed and most of it for the better. Competition among the fabric makers is what is driving the changes.

Technology, new chemical processes and manufacturing techniques have all driven the quality of acrylic fabrics up. We go through entire rolls of these products on a monthly basis and we keep track of the quality so as not to get killed on our own warranty claims. While two brand's quality has dropped ( Sunbrella and Recacril ) others have kept their standards in place and some have actually gotten better. The chemical finishes have been improved, the weaving technology has gotten better and for the most part Sattler, Tempotest and Docil are delivering exceptional products.

I talk with fabric experts all the time and I hear what is going on in the fabric world. Some have had problems at their mill's, some have had employee moral issues and some management changes. Some have changed fiber mixing operations. There are so many different scenarios in what makes a particular fabric better then another.

Because of our warranty periods we have to make sure that the fabrics ( and thread ) we use is the very best products on the market otherwise we would go bankrupt. If I see a quality issue pop up I get on the phone and start calling the experts to find out whats going on. Almost always they can inform me if management at the mills have changed, there are labor issues, the textile company changed the finishing formula or maybe fiber mixing operations changed.

Mojo 

gene

When buying upholstery fabric I tell people to look for two things:

1. A tight weave. Hold the fabric up to the light and if you can see dots of light that is a loose weave. The tighter the weave the better.

If you can read a newspaper through the fabric that is not a good for furniture upholstery. Yes, I understand that it's only $2.99 per yard. It is still not a good fabric for furniture upholstery.  ::)

2. Rub test. 15,000 can be OK. 30,000 to 50,000 for heavier use furniture. 125,000 for public daily uses is what I've gathered from my readings. I welcome your thoughts on this.

Re: KodyDog's blue chenille, I got in 2 yards of a dark blue chenille that was shipped the same way. It was folded in a bag. I could not get any of the creases out, and there were several spots where the nap had been smashed. Fortunately this fabric was to make welt cord so I was able to use it.

As a contrast, yesterday I got a long box, 65" x 10" x 10". Inside was a bolt of fabric on a tube that was suspended down the center of the box using corrugated blocks on each end of the box. That's a kool way to ship fabric.

gene
QUALITY DOES NOT COST, IT PAYS!

65Buick

When buying online or over the phone, it definitely seems that they way the seller ships their product says a lot about their attitude and hence, the quality.

Gene I've not seen the box before. Have seen the roll with double plastic (thick) bags. Was it really expensive stuff?