Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
  • Welcome to The Upholster.com Forum. Please login or sign up.

September 28, 2024, 07:16:25 pm

News:

Welcome to our new upholstery forum with an updated theme and improved functionality. We welcome your comments and questions to our forum! Visit our main website, Upholster.com, for our extensive supply of upholstery products, instructional information and videos, and much more.

Travel Trailer Cover

Started by babock, July 26, 2017, 05:01:57 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

babock

Has anyone made a travel trailer cover that is used when the trailer is in storage. Not sure if Sunbrella is the proper fabric to use because it is so heavy.

Any suggestions? Prefer a fabric that breathes like Sunbrella so there are no mold issues although we are in Southern California so not a huge issue. Will likely put some venting in too to prevent that.

kodydog

I made a cover out of Sunbrella for a popup camper and it worked fine

BUT I belong to a fb group called Popup Camper Owners. They all swear that if you use a fabric that doesn't breath you will have mold and mildew issues.

The popup camper I own now has no cover. It does get dirty and I do have to wash it each time I get ready use it. The inside stays dry.
There cannot be a crisis next week. My schedule is already full.
http://northfloridachair.com/index.html

Mojo

There is a cover material on the market that is used on classic cars. I made a cover for my motorcycle out of it once. It is extremely light, breathes and non abrasive. It is made by Kimberly Clark.

The covers you see for trailers and motorhomes are made of a fabric similar but these covers you buy on E-Bay  will live 2 years in the florida sun.

The high end fabric is made by Kimberly Clark I believe but here is a cheaper alternative.

http://www.rochfordsupply.com/shop/Automotive/Car_Cover_Fabric/Tan_Kartex_Car_Cover/index.html

Mojo

Bob T

July 31, 2017, 08:06:54 am #3 Last Edit: July 31, 2017, 08:17:07 am by Bob T
I have made RV Trailer covers out of Sunbrella and Weathermax 80.  Both work exceptionally well and both need similar protections and venting features.  Both materials are subject to chaffeing so you will want to provide a "rub" patch at wear prone points.  They both need ventilation.  I provide this by using highly breathable fabric patches at a couple locations at the highest points of the cover.  As air inside the cover heats, it rises and these breathable patches provides exit points for the warm air.  Like a chimney, warm air rising and exiting creates a "draw" of fresh air to replace the exiting air.  This chimney effect helps keep condensation from building up, reducing possible mildew or mold problems.  I've never had a problem with mold and mildew and I live in hot, steamy south Texas.

Mojo's comment about light weight has merit because these covers can get very heavy and hard to handle for anything larger than a pop-up.  That said, the weight and handling is a trade-off I'm willing to live with  to get 10 plus years of  life out of a cover.

Mojo

Bob:

I have seen numerous trailer covers in Florida that lasted one summer. They are typically chinese made and they use a breathable fabric similar to the Kimberly Clark auto cover fabric. That fabric they use is so cheap it disintegrates under the hot Florida sun.

Camping world and other RV parts outfits sell them while they work OK in other parts of the country they wont last 2 years in FL, AZ or CA.

I made a motorcycle cover once out of the Kimberly clark stuff and that lasted years down here.

Chris