Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
  • Welcome to The Upholster.com Forum. Please login or sign up.

October 14, 2024, 04:23:33 pm

News:

Welcome to our new upholstery forum with an updated theme and improved functionality. We welcome your comments and questions to our forum! Visit our main website, Upholster.com, for our extensive supply of upholstery products, instructional information and videos, and much more.

What staple gun?

Started by red owl, June 22, 2017, 11:08:21 am

Previous topic - Next topic

red owl

I tried an Arrow "Heavy Duty" staple gun that didn't work.  The staples would only go in about 1/2 way.  I tried hammering them in the rest of the way- didn't work- the sides bent out of shape.  I need something that drives a staple into hardwood used in chairs, etc.  What do you use?   Thanks.

SteveA

A good electric stapler is in the $ 200.00 range.  Going to air powered tools much more.  For a starter project you can use # 4 tacks with a tacking hammer
SA

kodydog

June 22, 2017, 05:24:15 pm #2 Last Edit: June 22, 2017, 05:29:43 pm by kodydog
The problem with the hand staplers is the staple is too thick and the spring loaded driver is too weak to penetrate hardwood (or plywood for that matter). I worked for a company who used an air gun that took the same staple. Very aggravating. A professional upholstery gun uses a much thinner gauge staple. But the gun is expensive. If you are working on a one time project it may not be worth the expense. But then again for sanity sake get the professional air gun. Bea is my favorite. It'll be the best $137 you ever spent.
https://www.google.com/search?q=bea+air+guns&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8#q=bea+air+guns&tbm=shop  
There cannot be a crisis next week. My schedule is already full.
http://northfloridachair.com/index.html

red owl

The staples I pulled out were of thin gauge, like what you might use to staple paper.  I figured some sort of special gun was used.  I am just getting started and on a variety of old family heirlooms so a little of this and a little of that.  I saved the cardboard tacking strip. I have some small nails- like brads except they have a head and I thought I could cut some tiny rectangular squares (3/8" x 3/4") from a tin can and punch 2 holes in each end and place that "washer" over the tack strip and then the said nails.  I have some carpet tacks but they seemed pretty heavy, are the 4 smaller gauge?  Any idea what was used before staple guns? Thanks.

MinUph

Red,
  Before staples we used tacks. they are sized like 3oz, 4 oz, 6oz, etc up to 16 oz. you would use 3 or 4oz for general work. These tacks are called carpet tacks by some today. They are blued steel and generally were sterilized because we would put them in our mouths to spit them onto a tack hammer's magnetic side.
  Staples are much easier to live with. But you need a compressor and a pneumatic staple gun. If you're going to do this you have to invest in a few things. Reusing cardboard is not a great idea. A roll of it is pretty cheap or you could just cut up a thin cardboard box into strips. There is no need for a "washer" as you put it.

Paul
Minichillo's Upholstery
Website