Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
  • Welcome to The Upholster.com Forum. Please login or sign up.

June 25, 2024, 09:00:00 pm

News:

Welcome to our new upholstery forum with an updated theme and improved functionality. We welcome your comments and questions to our forum! Visit our main website, Upholster.com, for our extensive supply of upholstery products, instructional information and videos, and much more.

Cut mattress--how to sew on edge fabric

Started by dougitect, February 08, 2017, 07:30:15 am

Previous topic - Next topic

dougitect

Hi, first post here. Thought you experts might have some ideas for my crazy project.

I want to cut a queen size mattress (innerspring) lengthwise to make daybed seat and back cushions. I've found info on cutting a mattress, but could use some advice on sewing fabric edge pieces to cover the open edges. So far my idea is to hand sew the new fabric on. Which would be a major drag, since I don't really know how and it would take a long time.

What would you do? Have you ever heard of this being done? Any tips on types of fabric, thread, needles? Would a hand-held sewing machine work?

Thank you in advance!

Doug

sofadoc

Quote from: dougitect on February 08, 2017, 07:30:15 am
I've found info on cutting a mattress.......

I'd be interested to see this info before even attempting to advise you.

I grew up in a family business that manufactured and renovated mattresses. It was common for customers to approach us with ideas about cutting a mattress in half and such. We had all the professional equipment, yet refused to even attempt such a foolhardy project.
"Perfection is the greatest enemy of profitability" - Mark Cuban

dougitect

Quote from: sofadoc on February 08, 2017, 09:06:18 am
Quote from: dougitect on February 08, 2017, 07:30:15 am
I've found info on cutting a mattress.......

I'd be interested to see this info before even attempting to advise you.

I grew up in a family business that manufactured and renovated mattresses. It was common for customers to approach us with ideas about cutting a mattress in half and such. We had all the professional equipment, yet refused to even attempt such a foolhardy project.

It's here: http://www.instructables.com/id/Hack-a-Mattress-into-a-Couch/

That article is showing a mattress with traditional springs, but I'll probably get one with pocketed springs, for what it's worth.

sofadoc

Quote from: dougitect on February 08, 2017, 09:52:28 am
That article is showing a mattress with traditional springs, but I'll probably get one with pocketed springs, for what it's worth.
The only pics that I saw in the article were of the box spring unit being cut down, not the innerspring mattress.

dougitect

Quote from: sofadoc on February 08, 2017, 11:12:05 am
Quote from: dougitect on February 08, 2017, 09:52:28 am
The only pics that I saw in the article were of the box spring unit being cut down, not the innerspring mattress.

Well, you might have to scan down to the bottom of the article (before the comments) and click on "View All Steps" or "Next" to see more of the article.

Thank you for looking into it!

sofadoc

OK, I found the rest of the pics this time.

Looks like they just tucked in the excess fabric and whip-stitched it shut. That's about as good a way as any. Then  if you sew a zippered slip cover for the whole thing, none of that will show anyway.

I think in your first post, you asked about a hand-held sewing machine. So I assume you don't have a regular sewing machine? You'll be happier with the results if you can borrow a machine or find someone to sew the cover instead of trying to close up the finished product by hand.

Welcome to the forum BTW. I hope I didn't sound rude. Most of us here on this forum are professional upholsterers, and don't always have answers for DIY projects.

Hopefully, later this evening, some others will chime in with suggestions.

dougitect

Quote from: sofadoc on February 08, 2017, 12:01:55 pm
OK, I found the rest of the pics this time.

Looks like they just tucked in the excess fabric and whip-stitched it shut. That's about as good a way as any. Then  if you sew a zippered slip cover for the whole thing, none of that will show anyway.

I think in your first post, you asked about a hand-held sewing machine. So I assume you don't have a regular sewing machine? You'll be happier with the results if you can borrow a machine or find someone to sew the cover instead of trying to close up the finished product by hand.

Welcome to the forum BTW. I hope I didn't sound rude. Most of us here on this forum are professional upholsterers, and don't always have answers for DIY projects.

Hopefully, later this evening, some others will chime in with suggestions.

Thank you for the reply!

In the linked article they cut out a section, so they had overlapping cover fabric to work with. I want to cut the mattress into two pieces--there won't be any extra overhanging fabric to sew together. So, I am thinking I need to add a strip of fabric.

I do have a sewing machine, but I can't imagine holding up a mattress and running it past the sewing machine! Plus, I'd be sewing the new fabric to the edge of the mattress' outer fabric with all the foam and such in the way. Hence the idea of using a handheld machine.

Any other thoughts are much appreciated!

MinUph

I think hand sewing would be the easiest. It is not all that hard and will take maybe an hour of your day. Cust strips of fabric a couple inches over sized pin it in place and sew it up. Then if you want it to look better have a zippered cover made like Dennis mentioned.
Paul
Minichillo's Upholstery
Website

dougitect

Quote from: MinUph on February 08, 2017, 06:21:36 pm
I think hand sewing would be the easiest. It is not all that hard and will take maybe an hour of your day. Cust strips of fabric a couple inches over sized pin it in place and sew it up. Then if you want it to look better have a zippered cover made like Dennis mentioned.

MinUph--Thank you for the reply! Hand sewing is the obvious solution. Unless someone comes up with a clever alternative, that's what I'll probably end up doing. Thanks, again!

Darren Henry

QuoteCust strips of fabric a couple inches over sized pin it in place and sew it up.

I use a Myer's awl, like I'm sewing  horse tack again.
Life is a short one way trip, don't blow it!Live hard,die young and leave no ill regrets!