Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
  • Welcome to The Upholster.com Forum. Please login or sign up.

October 14, 2024, 08:14:24 am

News:

Welcome to our new upholstery forum with an updated theme and improved functionality. We welcome your comments and questions to our forum! Visit our main website, Upholster.com, for our extensive supply of upholstery products, instructional information and videos, and much more.

How to glue a wood seat bottom on chair

Started by baileyuph, December 18, 2016, 02:22:50 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

baileyuph

How to glue the seat bottom (several wood panels edge glued together) without damaging
boards.

I need to separate a loose edge join to get the glue in between then clamp.

This has come up before and the boards need to be separated to insure adequate glue.

Oak is the wood if that needs to be known, back is windsor.

It will be a job if removing legs and rungs (4 of each) are a requirement.  Prying around with a

tool one would have to be careful.

What would a pro do?  What glue would they use?  Original Titebond is on hand - good enough? 

But, I got to get the edge join separated first without doing damage.

Doyle

Darren Henry

check very carefully for small nails driven into the rungs and then use a rubber mallet.
Life is a short one way trip, don't blow it!Live hard,die young and leave no ill regrets!

baileyuph

Just made a check on the nail issue Darren, turns out to be small phillips screws where
each leg joins bottom boards.  Removed those, it made the legs with rungs in place
easy to remove. 

Now, those edge joins in the seat area.  None separate completely, but flexing at the join is observed. 

From here, maybe flexing open the edges - where seat boards are joined - is the thing to do.  Not enough to damage or break just take what it will give me to let glue run into the
separation.

That would do least damage to the chair and would be worth the time.

Then, clamp with a couple clamps.

Big plus is probably wouldn't do any damage to chair.

Thanks,

Doyle

byhammerandhand

December 19, 2016, 10:22:07 am #3 Last Edit: December 19, 2016, 10:28:18 am by byhammerandhand
One thing you can do is dribble a line of glue into the joint line, then from the other side, attach the wand to your shop-vac.  It will suck the glue all the way through the joint.   Then clamp and wipe up the squeeze-out.  I would use Titebond Original, myself.

There are a couple of other things I've done.   You can drill pocket holes into the bottom and draw them together.  I have a pocket hole jig that you can run a screw through to clamp in place, do your drilling, then remove the jig, add the screw and fill the hole with a 3/8" dowel, trimmed off when done.   I would not do this on an antique piece, but for your common variety side chair it would work fine.  https://www.google.com/shopping/product/3959839092888966286?lsf=seller:8740,store:12672690991796297224&prds=oid:9251518353582555266&q=kreg+jig&hl=en&ei=9CJYWMLrF6zTjwSHqbZI&lsft=cm_mmc:Shopping-_-LIAs-_-D25T-_-202269070&lsft=gclid:CjwKEAiAp97CBRDr2Oyl-faxqRMSJABx4kh9Uqq58izGRKlpwHdxMJMVxVWQVVA89bekqtQY4GwGThoCkjTw_wcB

I've also done some with butterfly inlays (AKA Vikings, Dutchmen, Bow Tie ) that span the gap.   I did this once on the bottom of the seat, not expecting the customer to notice but when she picked them up, she saw it and was impressed.   I have a template and a little router guide with a bushing that cuts both the male and female parts off the same pattern.   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nMcXwmoOExI
Keith

"Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work." Thomas A. Edison