Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
  • Welcome to The Upholster.com Forum. Please login or sign up.

October 14, 2024, 09:23:41 am

News:

Welcome to our new upholstery forum with an updated theme and improved functionality. We welcome your comments and questions to our forum! Visit our main website, Upholster.com, for our extensive supply of upholstery products, instructional information and videos, and much more.

Fraying Fabrics

Started by baileyuph, November 03, 2016, 07:53:12 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

baileyuph

Experience in the business with currently manufactured fabrics notes that significant amount of the fabric used today (reupholstery and new manufacturing) often presents problems. 

The solution isn't "just" resew in the case of recent manufacturing.  I do considerable warranty work on furniture and it is a definite trend.

The question that comes up in my mind regarding fabrics is:  "How much does it generally cost to obtain higher quality fabric that will protect the consumer from this "fraying issue"?

Is it in the $50 and higher range of fabrics?

Doyle

byhammerandhand

Are you talking about "seam slippage" of coarsely-woven fabrics?   I'm starting to see more of this.  Just resewing the seam both does not look good and only kicks the can down the street.
Keith

"Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work." Thomas A. Edison

gene

November 04, 2016, 06:41:34 am #2 Last Edit: November 04, 2016, 06:43:11 am by gene
I agree that fabrics on new furniture are getting cheaper and cheaper, as are all other parts of new furniture. It only needs to last for the length of the warranty - 3 to 5 years.

I do not think a dollar figure is a good measure of quality fabric for furniture upholstery.

There are expensive fabrics made for drapery use with a loose weave and the weft thread not as strong as the warp thread, for example. This would not be a good candidate for upholstery.

I tell folks that a tight weave is a good rule of thumb. Hold the fabric up to a light source and if you see dots of light through the fabric that is a loose weave and may not wear well for upholstery.

Rub test is another critical factor. I think this is related to the tightness of the weave, but I don't know that for sure. I've read 15,000 rubs and up is OK. I've read 30,000 rubs and up is OK. I read years ago that 50,000 rubs and up is what should be used for upholstery. The higher the number the better wear and tear you will get from the fabric.

I think rub test number and a visual inspection for tightness of weave would be more important than price.

The type of material used for the thread is also an important factor. However it's difficult to compare fabrics with each other. 100% cotton may not wear as well as a poly, for example. But they add so many different types of chemicals to the process of making the threads and in weaving the fabrics that it's difficult to say for sure based on the material alone if a specific pure cotton fabric would wear better than a specific cotton blend fabric. Then you have acrylic is certainly stronger than cotton.

Rub test number and tightness of weave are what I tell folks to consider.

If a customer cannot find a rub test number for a specific fabric, that is usually a good indicator that that fabric was not made to sit on and climb all over.

gene

QUALITY DOES NOT COST, IT PAYS!

MinUph

Seam slippage can be overcome by taking a 5/8" seam. It use to be required with that crap olefin.
Paul
Minichillo's Upholstery
Website