Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
  • Welcome to The Upholster.com Forum. Please login or sign up.

June 26, 2024, 03:12:52 am

News:

Welcome to our new upholstery forum with an updated theme and improved functionality. We welcome your comments and questions to our forum! Visit our main website, Upholster.com, for our extensive supply of upholstery products, instructional information and videos, and much more.

Sewing twisted premade welt

Started by MinUph, August 06, 2016, 05:54:06 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

MinUph

For you furniture guys, My girl can sew this pretty well but has a hard time with it. Also can't seem to put a zipper next to it. I personally don't sew this well myself so I can't help her much. Do any of you have a process or even a foot size to work with?
  Thanks.
http://i1381.photobucket.com/albums/ah214/Minuph/Snap4_zpstxpjdvfk.png

Paul
Minichillo's Upholstery
Website

baileyuph

Paul, that decorative piece, is it actually welt?  I am like you, can't see where it could be sewn but would have to be nailed or glued but not even used in cushion work.

Maybe I couldn't see the twist piece well you are speaking of?

Doyle

sofadoc

I call it braided rope trim.

I have a metric size welt foot set for sewing it (10MM). Very similar in size to a 1/2" set of welt feet.

It is tough to sew zipper close to it. So I try to avoid doing that.
"Perfection is the greatest enemy of profitability" - Mark Cuban

MinUph

Yes Doyle it is welt. The tail in the front of the picture is what gets sewn on. Pesky stuff but used quite a bit. Some of it is better to sew than others. The pictured one is the hardest type.
Paul
Minichillo's Upholstery
Website

gene

Howdy,

I do a lot of this type of decorative welt cord on pillow covers.

I tape the ends of the individual cords that make up the decorative welt cord with masking tape so the thread on the cords does not unravel.

Like SodaD, I use a welt cord foot on my sewing machine that puts the stitch on the decorative welt cord, not on the tape. When you look at the picture you put up, Paul, you'll see the edge of the tape that is up against the cords. If you put your stitch through the tape you will see the edge of the tape on one side of the sewing. Keep the decorative welt cord laying flat in such a way that the tape is a bit off to the side so you can get as much of the cording showing inside the stitch line as possible.

I like to close the sewing by braiding the ends of the cords onto each other so you cannot see where the cording starts and ends.

gene

QUALITY DOES NOT COST, IT PAYS!

MinUph

Yes Gene,
  All of the above. My seamstress does just what you mentioned. She uses the correct size welt cord, sews tight to or on the welt itself. I was just hoping to find a "special secret" way to make the job easier. Obviously there isn't one. I personally hate sewing the stuff. She doesn't have that option. Well she does probably hate it but has to sew it anyway :)
  Thanks guys.
Paul
Minichillo's Upholstery
Website