Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
  • Welcome to The Upholster.com Forum. Please login or sign up.

October 14, 2024, 12:28:45 am

News:

Welcome to our new upholstery forum with an updated theme and improved functionality. We welcome your comments and questions to our forum! Visit our main website, Upholster.com, for our extensive supply of upholstery products, instructional information and videos, and much more.

On Line YP

Started by kodydog, April 01, 2016, 05:19:43 am

Previous topic - Next topic

kodydog

April 01, 2016, 05:19:43 am Last Edit: April 01, 2016, 05:21:29 am by kodydog
I was on-line trying to figure out how to list my business in other cities using YP internet pages. After calling their help center I found the only way to do this is to buy a premium package. This is something we will do when the new book comes out. But it seems like a disservice to their customers not to list every available business that serves the area. For example Ladd Upholstery Designs, serves Gainesville but no way to let their customers know without upgrading. Frustrated.

On another note, I was looking at some of the ads on the Gainesville YP website. One in particular caught my eye and this unfair review in particular;

"I called Sunshine during my work day to meet up with the owner Claude to drop by with one of four chairs to have stained and upholstered for my office lobby. I looked through some swatches of fabrics and colors to match with the decor in my work space. After checking out the chair, he quoted me 415.00 PER CHAIR! This chair is not an antique nor was the fabric real leather. Did this business think that 1660.00 to reupholster 4 chairs was a fair quote? Do not waste your time going to this dump and have this business try to take you to the cleaners. This quote was way over priced for the job I was bring to him. I left abruptly."

He doesn't describe the chair but if it is fully upholstered and needs some refinishing the price sounds reasonable. Did the guy get other quotes from other upholsterers before he posted the review? Just because he's a cheep a$$ doesn't mean this is an unfair quote? I wanted to respond but that option is unavailable.

There cannot be a crisis next week. My schedule is already full.
http://northfloridachair.com/index.html

sofadoc

I've only had a few online reviews, and they were very favorable. But I always did think that reviews could be unfair, such as in the case above.

When we vacation, we've checked some online reviews for potential hotels. They're all over the road. It really just depends on the mood of the person who submitted the review.

Restaurants, books, movies, etc . I've found reviews to be very unreliable. Some of my favorites have been torched by critics.

And with the case that Kody mentioned, refinishing and re-upholstering a piece can easily top $400. When I get a quote from someone that is more than I want to spend, I just say "Thank you" and walk away. I don't try to publicly ruin them.

You guys might remember me talking about a roofer last year that screwed me really bad IMO. I could've given him a bad online review, but I'm pretty sure that he would've retaliated by doing the same to me.

So my review of reviews? Take them all with a grain of salt.
"Perfection is the greatest enemy of profitability" - Mark Cuban

crosjn

Responding to reviews, especially negative ones, is very important.  Calm and rational is important.  A well written response to such a bombastic review will leave the response looking better than the review.

Also, I always encourage anyone who calls to send me an email photo before they drive over to meet me.  And I almost never give sight-unseen prices over the phone.   I don't want that above scenario to happen.  Both the client and business wasted a lot of time and energy.

Yesterday a guy called and asked "how much to reupholster a sectional?"  I went round and round with him, politely, that I couldn't tell him without a picture and dimensions because there are just too many variables, sizes, styles, etc...  He got angry and I finally tried to explain "You might as well ask 'what does a car cost.'  I just can't tell you without knowing a lot more about what you want."  He said "F** it" and hung up.  I don't like that at all, and it still bothers me, but I don't have to worry that I quoted him a generic price, then he shows up with a 3-piece sectional with recliners, tufted with double stitching everywhere...  And wants to know my I can't honor my generic price...  And then goes online and tells the world it's my fault.  Right now, the worst he can say about me is that I don't give prices over the phone.  That's fine, I don't!

sofadoc

Back to the part about a total refinish and re-upholster job costing too much.

I work closely with a local refinisher. He sends his upholstery work to me, and I send my refinishing jobs to him.

We really don't jointly do that many pieces that have both refinishing and upholstery work involved.

For the very reason that the angry reviewer cited, most people have a budget for one or the other, but not both. I don't know how many times a customer has told me "Oh don't worry about the wood. I'll take care of that myself". My refinisher hears the same thing about the fabric.
"Perfection is the greatest enemy of profitability" - Mark Cuban

baileyuph

Yellow pages, phone calls, phone estimates, I hear you.  The type who call an expect a price aren't usually going to have the job done anyway unless it is about 50% of a new replacement that is similar.  We can't stay in business doing that so with plenty to do, a busy shop can't waste time on a phone.

A body shop, for example has to see the work to provide estimates for most wrecks.

Most of the time, my YP listing provides a location for someone interested in having work done.

Doye