Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
  • Welcome to The Upholster.com Forum. Please login or sign up.

October 14, 2024, 01:27:09 am

News:

Welcome to our new upholstery forum with an updated theme and improved functionality. We welcome your comments and questions to our forum! Visit our main website, Upholster.com, for our extensive supply of upholstery products, instructional information and videos, and much more.

Recycled leather

Started by scott_san_diego, March 17, 2016, 05:33:23 am

Previous topic - Next topic

scott_san_diego

About 3-4 times a month I will get calls from customers saying that the the leather on their new furniture is pealing.  I  usually need to let then know that it is not real leather, but a recycled leather or the material.

But know this problem has hit close to home.

http://s4.photobucket.com/user/scott_sandiego/Recliner/story

On 2/1/2013 we reupholstered 2 recliners in a recycled leather purchased at one of our suppliers.  Went out and looked at the chairs and sure enough at the head rest the material was starting to peal.  Never thought this would happen with any of the suppliers I purchase from.  Got on the phone with them and explained the problem.   They said they would send out more recycled leather so we could get the problem fixed.  But they said they would not cover my labor charges, to make the changes.  Get the material in and check the texture and color to what was put on the chairs, does not even come close.  Now I am on the hook on redoing both chairs.

I had this happen one other time about 15 years ago with a fabric, it started to ball up.  That company handled it the proper way.  They took care of supplying me with new fabric and also took care of the labor charges.

sofadoc

I used to defend recycled leather. I put it on furniture for several years with no problems.

I always contended that it was "blended", or "bonded" leather that peeled, but not recycled.

But lately, I've seen complaints like yours more and more. I can only assume now that recycled leather has the same problems.

If customers want it, I'll put it on. BUT I offer absolutely no warranty. Even if they bought it from me.
"Perfection is the greatest enemy of profitability" - Mark Cuban

SteveA

There are leather repair services that can fill in and recolor those nicked areas..  A service call with repairs should be under $ 200.00 for both headrests

SA

sofadoc

Quote from: SteveA on March 17, 2016, 09:20:26 am
There are leather repair services that can fill in and recolor those nicked areas..  A service call with repairs should be under $ 200.00 for both headrests
But what's the point in repairing one area if all the high-traffic areas are going to start peeling away soon? At 200 bucks a visit, it won't take long to go deep in the hole on that job.

It also looks like it's trying to peel along the stitches of the gathered seam on the right.

I've had a few warranty cases before. The last thing I want the supplier to do, is send me some more of the same stuff. I'd rather they just credit my account.
"Perfection is the greatest enemy of profitability" - Mark Cuban

kodydog

I've never reupholstered a piece with recycled leather or any of the others. I've never had a customer ask me to use it. If they did I think I would steer them toward vinyl. There are some nice ones out their these days. I get calls but I can't even remember repairing or reupholstering any. Usually when I give them the price they simply say the furniture just isn't worth it.

Sorry to here about your predicament Scott. If you explain the situation maybe you can talk them into a different product? Maybe split the cost? Just doesn't make since to use recycled leather again. Steve at Silverstone Fabrics has some good deals on real leather. That would be an upgrade. Or vinyl would probably be an upgrade too . Some customers would understand others would complain.
There cannot be a crisis next week. My schedule is already full.
http://northfloridachair.com/index.html

scott_san_diego

After the customer came out yesterday and saw the replacement material, she mentioned that it felt thinner than the original.  So what I am planning on doing is using Ultra leather, eliminating any possibility of this happening again. 

Have a call into the supplier to see if they will step up to the plate, but not planning on that happening.

Part of being in business.

MinUph

This stuff is all crap. I threw out all the sample books that contain anything other than Genuine Leather and Vinyl. I see it much to often and have no reason to accept the issue from me.
Paul
Minichillo's Upholstery
Website

gene

March 17, 2016, 06:10:13 pm #7 Last Edit: March 17, 2016, 06:11:27 pm by gene
That's a tough situation. 3 plus years is a long time to give a complete warranty. Does anyone else give such a long warranty?

I know your reputation and all is involved and I do feel bad that you're going to spend time and money fixing the problem.

I find so many benefits to faux leather (vinyl), over any leather product. Vinyl is less expensive, holds up better, no need to moisturize the skin, looks just as good.

Does anyone have any advantages to using leather?

And if you really want leather, use vinyl and buy a bottle of this: http://www.amazon.com/Griots-Garage-11150-Leather-Scent/dp/B002LNLXY6/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1458263015&sr=8-1&keywords=leather+smell+spray

gene
QUALITY DOES NOT COST, IT PAYS!

baileyuph

That would be a bad situation Scott, sorry to hear.

I won't reupholstery a complete job in the stuff and cow hide is usually too expensive.

Sometimes, if one can order a component for a customer, I replace those.  The reprocessed stuff .....well best to not sell that.  Like I said, if they buy it (say from their seller), I will install.

Doyle

kodydog

March 17, 2016, 07:06:36 pm #9 Last Edit: March 17, 2016, 07:13:58 pm by kodydog
Quote from: gene on March 17, 2016, 06:10:13 pm
Does anyone else give such a long warranty?

This is one more reason added to a long list of reasons why we don't sell fabric anymore. But we give a unique life time warranty on our craftsmanship. We stand behind our work 100%. Pretty good chance the fabric will ware out before our work does.

Quote from: gene on March 17, 2016, 06:10:13 pm
Does anyone have any advantages to using leather?
gene

Bonded Leather
Reconstituted Leather
Blended Leather
Coated Leather

They are all about the same. Made from scraps leftover from manufacturing. Ground into a dust mixed with resin and bonded to a layer of fabric. Then topped with a layer of polyurethane. A recipe guaranteed to fail.

Recycled leather starts the same way with leather scraps ground into dust and mixed with resin. The difference is it is pressed into layers, like plywood. And the final product needs no polyurethane topcoat or additional finishing.

But none of these products have the unique characteristics of genuine leather. It gives you breathability, strength, elasticity, retention, flexibility, softness, and durability. And from an upholsterers viewpoint, workability. Including the shrinkage process with a heat gun or moisture. Genuine leather gives you the added benefit of aging gracefully with developed patina and wrinkles and stretch marks.

And something we all need to consider when handling this stuff. Although genuine leather has its own out gassing problems it does not out gas plasticizers. Substantial concerns have been expressed over the safety of some plasticizers, especially because several ortho-phthalates have been classified as potential endocrine disruptors with some developmental toxicity reported.
There cannot be a crisis next week. My schedule is already full.
http://northfloridachair.com/index.html

scott_san_diego

Update.
So we re-did both of the backs on the recliners in the black ultra leather.  Brought them back to tho customers house.  Slid the backs back on both chairs.  I thought they looked really good and matched pretty darn close.  I was trying to avoid having to redo the seats also.
The husband liked it, but wasn't sure.  I said fine.  Give it a couple of days and when your wife get home in the afternoon you can discuss it with her.   Last night around 8:30pm received an email from the wife saying that they are very please.
Case closed.  Moving on.

Darren Henry

Glad things went okay with the backs and that you haven't had to do the seats also.  But....

Quotesaid they would send out more recycled leather so we could get the problem fixed.  But they said they would not cover my labor charges, to make the changes.  Get the material in and check the texture and color to what was put on the chairs, does not even come close.

The manufacturer , and subsequently the supplier, only covering the material cost is pretty much standard up here. Maybe  it's the Irish in me , or maybe the Scot, but I'd go back to my rep and show them the old material and the new and explain why you couldn't use it and why you went with ultra-leather. I can't see them ponying up for the ultra-leather but fair would be to take back the replacement material and credit you the cost of the first order of it at least.
Life is a short one way trip, don't blow it!Live hard,die young and leave no ill regrets!