Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
  • Welcome to The Upholster.com Forum. Please login or sign up.

September 20, 2024, 10:20:26 pm

News:

Welcome to our new upholstery forum with an updated theme and improved functionality. We welcome your comments and questions to our forum! Visit our main website, Upholster.com, for our extensive supply of upholstery products, instructional information and videos, and much more.

Acrylic coated polyester fabrics

Started by otlass, December 09, 2015, 03:47:12 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

otlass

Hello awning guys,
Who are producers of acrylic coated polyester fabrics in the US. I am looking for the manufacturer of a fabric sold under the "Texout" name in Europe and distributed by Giovanardi in Europe. The fabric is supposedly manufactured in the US. I have been googling around for an hour now and do not get anywhere.
Are there any other producers besides Glen Raven in the US? Thank you for any information!

Mojo

Texout I believe is actually manufactured in Italy. There are 3 acrylics in Europe - Texout, Sattler and Recacril. Texout is hard to find here as they have no established market in the USA. Sunbrella is used in Europe but not liked by European Marine fabricators. I believe Sunbrella only has a 5 % share of the European market.

Sattler is located in Austria, Recacril in Barcelona, Spain and Texout in Italy.

Chris

otlass

Thank you Chris,
I am not sure if it is actually manufactured in Italy or if they are just the distributor I am trying to find it for my old Boss in Austria who likes to use it, and he has been told that LLi Giovanardi is not carrying it anymore because of low sales. But he is saying it is manufactured in the US. I called Glen Raven but they are clueless about it. Are there any other producers besides Glen Raven in the US? I read your very informative post from earlier on that subject, so I don`t think so.

Mojo

The only other acrylic product manufactured in the USA is Outdura. It is manufactured by Sattler and branded under the Outdura name. It is manufactured in a plant in North Carolina. It is all 60 inch goods.

I have used every type of acrylic fabric in the USA and abroad and I can tell you that the very best is Austria's Sattler. They are a vertical company meaning they do everything in house such as fiber mixing, milling, etc. They use Turkish fibers which are the best and have amazing quality standards. We continually get rolls upon rolls without defects and I believe we have only had to cut around two this year. Glen Raven is using fibers that are reportedly being mixed in China in their Sunbrella. They also changed their formulas in 2004 and I believe again in 2009. This is why the quality is not the same as it was in 2000. It is also why European Marine fabricators wont use it.

I would spec your project for your boss using Sattler. There is no better acrylic on the market. I have heard the Italian acrylic has lost favor and is struggling for market share as it is lacking in quality. They are having a hard time with the European market.

I will try and get in touch with my buddy. He is the head of Sattler for North America and consults to us quite often and is an expert on acrylics. He is in Europe quite often so knows both markets.

We just went to a new system and we are now buying factory direct. Our volume purchases put us over the limit needed by the factory so now our roll's come direct from Austria to Sattlers North American warehouse and then to us. I now know what that meaning is all about as we have to wait till our ship comes in. :) I have never had a warranty claim ever with Sattler fabric. I cannot say the same about Recacril. Sunbrella we do not even allow in our shop and refuse any orders that spec Sunbrella.

Let me check on this further to make sure I am right and then I can let you know for sure. But I am thinking Texout is an Italian fabric represented by an Italian company.

Chris

otlass

Wow this is a lot of great information Chris. The funny thing about it is my old Boss is actually in Austria. I am not sure why he has his heart set on that stuff. I guess grass is greener on the other side.

brmax

Austria is picture perfect as 3 of my best friends and I as Soldiers had the opportunity to do a USO tour around the Munich, Salzburg, Innsbruck areas for a week plus.

To help with your question with acrylic coated polyester fabric companies.
Marlen Textiles is a U.S. producer here in Missouri. They can and do make products as you mention for "others" with specific results needed, indeed a very stringent and proprietary production.
Their name brand Top Gun and Top Notch fabrics also have compliance with the Berry amendment when that can be a liked, necessary market or requirement.

http://www.marlentextiles.com/company.html

Have a Good Friday
Floyd

Mojo

Yes I did not mention Marlen. They have numerous products in the coated polyester line. Top Notch, Top Gun and then a host of other Top Notch offerings. Most are used for covers as they have a consistency along the lines of a vinyl coated cover material.

Some of them have a good grab tensile rating. We do not use any of them as our customers request the true acrylic's like Sattler which has the look and feel of Sunbrella. The other problem with all Marlen products and one other reason we do not use them is their short life. Their warranty is only 5 years as compared to Sunbrella, Sattler and Recacril which are all 10 years. I believe the Marlen products age out quicker.

But Floyd is right, Marlen does make acrylics under various brand names.

Chris

brmax

Chris I am particularly interested this week in some of the test results with these canvas type goods from all the companies mentioned. Not straying off to much but this could help, anyway the reason for curiosity this week is FR rated materials. I guess there must be some give and take in the products with that benefit, and I could always use more information tips when certain types are needed other than an established contract spec everybody is working off of.

Good weekend everybody

Mojo

Floyd:

The best bet is for me to have a Miami Rep contact you and then he can send you sample cards
and answer any of your questions. They carry all the major brands including Marlen. All the sample cards have the product data on the back and lab test results. Marlen does carry a Top Notch FR. Miami has alot of FR fabrics

They do not charge for the sample cards. PM me your phone number and I will have the Rep in your area contact you. Or you can contact my Rep directly and he will assist you.

I do not use the Marlen product line so do not have any experience with any of it. His name is Chris Leal and his number is 407-408-5534. Just tell him I referred you.

Chris

brmax

Thanks Chris
While loafing around the tables here patterning some Top Gun (FR) I needed to make some coffee and so typed in and wahla-buc-a-boom I looked at the Sattler USA site and a nice informative site for sure.
https://www.sattler-global.com/suntex-site/en/us/sun-protection-9470.jsp

In the event someone has an idea for certain or general information with Sattler products, I found their site and was totally impressed with the design, I was able to find some basic spec of their FR or fire retardant rated "commercial fabrics" both being coated fabrics: a standard duty coated acrylic and heavy duty coated poly fabric.

They mention these availabilities in a way to meet the stringent USA requirements, so as always we work with many other places and eventually help produce products, so all is good and I for one will look further in there line.

well good day everyone
Floyd

Miami Mat is also a good source or has been with my account, thanks Mat