Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
  • Welcome to The Upholster.com Forum. Please login or sign up.

September 21, 2024, 06:54:34 am

News:

Welcome to our new upholstery forum with an updated theme and improved functionality. We welcome your comments and questions to our forum! Visit our main website, Upholster.com, for our extensive supply of upholstery products, instructional information and videos, and much more.

back panel on upholstered furnture

Started by gene, December 03, 2015, 04:40:04 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

gene

I just finished two wing back chairs today. I use metal tack strips on the sides. This past weekend I watched a video online of a guy who calls himself a 'master upholsterer'. He was using ply grip on the sides. The sides were straight.

I do use ply grip when the sides are curved - at least on the curved parts.

I have in the past hand sewn the sides.

Ply grip is slower for me than tack strips. I'm wondering if I did enough hand stitching would I get fast enough to be faster or at least as fast as the tack strips?

Anything I can do faster is a plus and thread is cheaper than tack strips.

Thanks for your thoughts.

gene
QUALITY DOES NOT COST, IT PAYS!

baileyuph

To many, it just depends:

To sew likes:

Often it like vintage methods and doesn't add that kind of bulk to the item strips or ....will add.

Some of the wood frames are better preserved by sewing.  Take strips over time add holes.

Time differences largely depends on the obvious - hand sewing skill level. 

To tack strip likes:
Faster for some
Alignment easier for some
soome favor this when no cording is involved (keeping things straighter.

Lastly, about the ply grip, I probably would never use it.

There are other influences as "how to" such as material weight, if padding is added underneath with a lining support, cording being added (mentioned already). Some customers (particularly of older stuff, might not appreciate the bulk of metal and such that is added by tack strips and/or ply-grip.

For expediency, most here might go with tack strips??

Doyle

MinUph

gene,
  I had sewed all my work for probably my first 15-20 years doing this. I was very good at it but never got as fast as tack strips are. Ply Grip as you mentioned is for curves not straight runs.
  As far as it being appropriate to close a piece that is dependant on the piece and the tradesman. Some will say it lessens the quality in some way. They also say nothing is as good as handsewn hair filling. You have to look at the furniture you do. Is it important to do things the old way? Is there an added value in it? In other words if you take the time to hand close the outsides is there a value in it or not? If it doesn't add value then it is not worthwhile taking the extra time.
  On an antique I would probably hand sew it. Fine fabrics like silk etc., Hand Sew. The average fabric I would use tack strips. We use the plastic wrapper for the metal strips. I don't particularly like it but being in Florida I am concerned about rust. In Syracuse I never used the plastic. I like the thinner outcome. But if done properly the added thickness is not an issue with standard upholstery weight fabrics.
  Everything is expensive isn't it.

Paul
Minichillo's Upholstery
Website

gene

Thank you for the replie. Very helpful.

I have some plastic covers for tack strips but have only used them once or twice. I have put duct tape on the front of tack strips when the fabric is a bit on the thin side.

gene
QUALITY DOES NOT COST, IT PAYS!

kodydog

December 06, 2015, 06:13:50 pm #4 Last Edit: December 06, 2015, 06:17:21 pm by kodydog
There is definitely some skill needed when using tack strips. To me curve ease is for "curves."

I have worked with upholsterers who use curve ease only. Only because they don't have the skill it takes to use tack strip, especially when it comes to stripes.

Once mastered it can be a real time saver and give the whole project a sharper appearance. With experience you learn to place the welt so it is perfectly straight. Make sure not to let the fabric build up in the corners and learn just exactly where to poke those spikes through so the fabric is not pulled to tight or too loose.

Never say good enough. If it looks sloppy rip it out and try again, we've all been there.

For thin fabric I wrap a thin layer of 3/4 inch wide Dacron around the tack strip. It takes a little extra time but boy does it look good.
There cannot be a crisis next week. My schedule is already full.
http://northfloridachair.com/index.html