Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
  • Welcome to The Upholster.com Forum. Please login or sign up.

September 28, 2024, 06:38:48 pm

News:

Welcome to our new upholstery forum with an updated theme and improved functionality. We welcome your comments and questions to our forum! Visit our main website, Upholster.com, for our extensive supply of upholstery products, instructional information and videos, and much more.

Hot mess chair

Started by byhammerandhand, November 15, 2015, 11:58:22 am

Previous topic - Next topic

byhammerandhand

Keith

"Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work." Thomas A. Edison

brmax

I am confident that was done in a factory setting, and it's sad that it was discovered sold or built here.
A complete study of that construction should be more publicized for sure, if only to give someone a clear understanding of hidden, weak, yet ( planned ) structure.
I see and value the advances in adhesives but intermingled in a way to de value proper craftsmanship in a build burns me up.
What bothers me a lot is the amount of people it doesn't make a difference to.
I can see it now a bright, sharp dressed, easy to look at and well spoken public speaker for the company talking their #&%*

Good day and thanks, that will help keep us on the look out for crazy builds

Floyd

MinUph

Looks to me more like a deck builder decided to put a chair together rather than any factory.
Paul
Minichillo's Upholstery
Website

brmax

Sometimes instructors are or decide that an abstract method of that days class has an ice breaker as this chair.
Very good opportunity to open up the methods by these laughs and such.  Sorry I still haven't read the article, I'm sure it has a great bearing.
Good days there everyone

gene

Some jute webbing, 8 way hand tied springs, burlap, horse hair, cotton, cambric on the bottom, etc., etc., and a nice $6.99 per yard fabric from JoAnn Fabrics and you are good to go.  ::)

gene
QUALITY DOES NOT COST, IT PAYS!

byhammerandhand

What has always amazed me is the number of dining chairs that are assembled (around the seat) with dowels, and have been for years and years.  A friend of mine says there are two types of doweled chairs -- those that are loose and those that will be loose.   A chair has more stress, and particularly more stress, pound per pound than most any other piece of furniture.   How many times do you slide a fully loaded bookcase a few feet or lean back on one edge?

Dowels are notoriously weak joints (technically, due to orthotropic properties of wood and minimized glue surface areas, but that's a lesson for another day).  As wood technologist, R. Bruce Hoadley says, "If good dowel joints aren't the oldest joints ever made, loose ones must be."

The only reasons I can think of that justify the practice is
* Easy to do with multi-head dowelers (i.e., cheap)
* Repairable, keeping people like me in business and the piece out of the trash bin
* Soft-fail, that is, they get loose over time and not just come crashing to the floor one day.

However, I think this chair would have been much better if instead of construction adhesive, they'd used Gorilla Glue.    Or not.
Keith

"Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work." Thomas A. Edison

SteveA

This is the problem with 4 chairs that came in last week - the frames are completely pin nailed together

The pins toenailed from the sides

Darren Henry

The really sad part is that I have seen worse frames. At least they used fairly large pieces of real wood. Most of the frames that I have to work on are OSB tacked together with box staples and a piece of 1Xnot much for spring rails etc...Usually with a huge knot in the centre---right where it broke LOL!
Life is a short one way trip, don't blow it!Live hard,die young and leave no ill regrets!

Rich

It could have been worse, they could have used flake board instead of solid wood and then covered it all up with plastic laminate!
Rich
Everything's getting so expensive these days, doesn't anything ever stay at the same price? Well the price for reupholstery hasn't changed much in years!

byhammerandhand

Keith