Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
  • Welcome to The Upholster.com Forum. Please login or sign up.

October 13, 2024, 03:23:37 pm

News:

Welcome to our new upholstery forum with an updated theme and improved functionality. We welcome your comments and questions to our forum! Visit our main website, Upholster.com, for our extensive supply of upholstery products, instructional information and videos, and much more.

Best fabric for outdoor cushions

Started by Joanc, August 11, 2015, 06:28:24 am

Previous topic - Next topic

Joanc

I need help from all of your experience.  First of all, I'm a home seamstress, not an upholsterer. I do have over 40 years experience sewing however and have covered a few items, including my outdoor cushions around the pool before.  Some of your terminology is above me but it's usually regarding your equipment. I've searched the forum and read many posts regarding Sunbrella vs Outdura for outdoor cushions.  A lot of posts discourage using Sunbrella as the quality has diminished over the years.  It appears Outdura is the way to go. 

This is my dilemma: Both Sunbrella and Outdura have many types of fabric listed as suitable for cushions.  Which is best? I even noticed Sunbrella has a new one called "Rain". By the way, I don't think I want that. 
I need Royal Blue.  Sunbrella doesn't appear to have a Royal Blue.  I ordered a few blue canvas samples and none matched.  I liked the feel of the canvas.  It had some stretch as was mentioned in some of your posts.  Some of you found that a problem with cushions. My cushions are not used much.  More for looks than anything. 
Sunbrella states dyes very fade resistant.  I worry Royal in either would fade in bright sun.

Lots of money going into fabric for it to fade or stretch out of shape.  Cushions would be boxed with welt cording.  Solid Royal Blue (which I saw Outdura has in some type?) .

Would someone please tell me specific names of the Outdura and Sunbrella fabrics recommended for outdoor cushions that would hold up well in bright sun in a Royal Blue?

I guess that one question would have sufficed!

Thank you tremendously!
Joan

MinUph

For cushion work outside here in Florida I recommend Sunbrella. There are hundreds of colors and it holds up the best in the sun and weather. Nice feel to it. Outdura is equal in they are both Acrylic fabrics.
  If you are buying either of these online be very careful. Sunbrella like is not sunbrella it is usually Surelast and it is not the same although made by Glen Raven. It is sold a lot on eBay.
If you have a sample book there should be some blue you are looking for. Reds fade the worst. Blues not so bad.
Paul
Minichillo's Upholstery
Website

gene

Make sure the Sunbrella is outdoor fabric, not their indoor furniture fabric.

gene
QUALITY DOES NOT COST, IT PAYS!

sofadoc

I offer my customers no guarantee against fading if they're planning to leave them out in the open 24/7. Regardless of any manufacturer's warranty.

I recommend that they either have a covered patio, or bring the cushions in when not in use. I've done some Sunbrella cushions that show some fading after only 1 summer.

"Perfection is the greatest enemy of profitability" - Mark Cuban

Joanc

Many thanks to all of you for your replies!  I will try to get my hands on a Sunbrella sample book.  Perhaps upholsterer around here will have one. 
My time is short at present but, will also look at the Outdura online and come back here to ask more questions of you regarding the different types of Outdura.

I can narrow the type of Sunbrella to the outdoor canvas due to ordering the samples.  I do like the feel of that fabric.

I have NO idea the type of Outdura to consider as I have never seen any of it. 

Thank you again for sharing your knowledge and experience!
Joan

MinUph

Quote from: gene on August 11, 2015, 04:58:47 pm
Make sure the Sunbrella is outdoor fabric, not their indoor furniture fabric.

gene

I am not aware of this difference. Where did you get this information?
Paul
Minichillo's Upholstery
Website

Mike

August 12, 2015, 05:52:42 pm #6 Last Edit: August 12, 2015, 05:58:50 pm by Mike
there is also bella dura and Recacrill is a great canvas.   o had a rot issue a couple year back with outdura on a boat cover rotted bad real fast.  

recacril has a similar blue
http://www.miamicorp.com/default.aspx?page=item detail&itemcode=R170
where did you get the name ROYAL BLUE ? some makers have the same color just different name.  I did a bow cushion on a 3 hatteras 2 tears ago several cushios and had one rot with sunbrella canvas

tell me what brand has the royal blue you wANT AND ILL COMPARE OTHIONS FOR YOU

I have some andriondac chairs on my dock dine with recacril on the cushions

gene

Hi Paul,

I got my information from my customers. I was under the impression that there was outdoor, indoor, drapery, and marine Sunbrella.

After reading their web site, it seems that there is no specific Sunbrella for indoor use. Many of their fabrics are listed as being for marine, outdoor, indoor, and drapery - all together. Other fabrics are for marine only.

Furthermore, it seems that there are only 2 different types of Sunbrella: marine which is stiffer and a tighter weave, and upholstery which is a softer fabric that is used for indoor, outdoor, and drapery, and some marine.

If I'm still not there, let me know.

gene

QUALITY DOES NOT COST, IT PAYS!

MinUph

You got it Gene. That is the lines as I understood them. Marine or awning is heavy weight has a 10 yr warranty, I believe, and cushion grade has a 3 year for colorfastness etc. I may be wrong on the numbers.
  Not that customers are not the best part of our businesses but they are not always correct. LOL.
Paul
Minichillo's Upholstery
Website