Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
  • Welcome to The Upholster.com Forum. Please login or sign up.

June 25, 2024, 05:49:40 pm

News:

Welcome to our new upholstery forum with an updated theme and improved functionality. We welcome your comments and questions to our forum! Visit our main website, Upholster.com, for our extensive supply of upholstery products, instructional information and videos, and much more.

Foam

Started by Tricksum, June 10, 2015, 10:15:37 am

Previous topic - Next topic

Tricksum

Generally which type of foam would provide the strongest bond when glueing leather to it.

Rich

I think it depends more on the use before trying to decide which foam to use. What will it be used for?
Rich
Everything's getting so expensive these days, doesn't anything ever stay at the same price? Well the price for reupholstery hasn't changed much in years!

Tricksum

Large concave surface of inside of back on 1960's chair

MinUph

If your going to glue to foam its more important to do the gluing right than the type of foam. Spray both sides with an even coat and let it flash off for a minute or two. If the glue soaks in spray another coat on one or both sides and allow it to flash off again. The press the pieces together and allow it to setup well for an hour or so. You should get a nice strong bond.
Paul
Minichillo's Upholstery
Website

Darren Henry

I'm just thinking out load here, but assuming this is his egg chair project and I think he said it was only 1/2" foam---

---I'm wondering if scrim foam, glued foam to substrate/scrim to leather, might not handle the tension of stretching it in better. Just a thought, I'll wait to hear from those with more experience with that situation.
Life is a short one way trip, don't blow it!Live hard,die young and leave no ill regrets!

MinUph

Posted this but it didn't take so here goes again...

I see this type of job like this. These are done in a factory with presses and forms that allow the fabric or vinyl to conform to the shape and hold things in place while the stretching is done. We as reupholsterers don't have this equipment and have to make due with what we have. Darren you may have a point with the sew foam (scrim) as you call it over yonder but there are two bonds here. One attaches to the foam/fabric the other to the foam frame. If either gives out then the job is toast. So where is the bond more likely to give way? I see it as the second bond foam to fabric. Again a form would help. I use sand bags as a little help when holding these things in place.
Paul
Minichillo's Upholstery
Website