Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
  • Welcome to The Upholster.com Forum. Please login or sign up.

June 28, 2024, 01:40:27 pm

News:

Welcome to our new upholstery forum with an updated theme and improved functionality. We welcome your comments and questions to our forum! Visit our main website, Upholster.com, for our extensive supply of upholstery products, instructional information and videos, and much more.

Craigs list: you've gotta love it!

Started by gene, June 21, 2015, 07:44:38 am

Previous topic - Next topic

gene

June 21, 2015, 07:44:38 am Last Edit: June 21, 2015, 07:45:56 am by gene
I mentioned a few years ago that an upholsterer here in town took my company tag lines and put them on Craigs List using the tag lines to look for upholstery work. My thought was that I hoped they would get a lot of calls. I can't imagine even one quality call from from Craigs List.
-------------------------
I'm selling two stair lifts that we used for my mother and father in law. They both passed away 3 years ago, so these stair lifts have been sitting around the house for the last 3 years.

I get an email from a guy who gave me a detailed, heart breaking story about his mom and how she needs a stair lift. He only needs one chair lift.
He can't afford the price I'm asking, and he doesn't want to insult me by making an offer that may be too low and I would then think that he is trying to low ball me.
However, he does have a Rolex watch. This Rolex is so awesome that he took it to a jeweler once and the only way the jeweler could tell it was a fake was by opening up the back of the casing.
This guy lives several hours from me and he said he would come and pick the stair lift up if we could agree on the terms.
For a fake Rolex, I think I should offer to deliver the stair lift to him for free, plus give him a few hundred bucks in cash???
-----------------------------------
I just sold my old van on Craigs List, so it does have it's uses. However, the first email I got on my van was a fake response site to Craigs List that I needed to put in my name and password. Those folks would then have been able to list illegal stuff in my name.
-----------------------------------
Last Monday a guy here in town who had been selling cars on Craigs List and then robbing at gun point the folks who showed up to buy his cars, was sentenced to 30 years in jail.

U Pick and Pay junk yard has businesses in 9 states. They only pay for old cars with a check in Ohio, no cash, because they said Ohio is one of the worst states for robberies when selling old cars.

gene

QUALITY DOES NOT COST, IT PAYS!

sofadoc

In this day and age, I really don't think it's a good idea for strangers to buy and sell used cars with each other. Whether on CL or any other way. I think it's best to pay extra and go through a dealer. I'm certainly not meeting someone at night 100 miles away.

I've bought and sold small items on CL. And never had a problem. But I sometimes wonder if I've been pressing my luck.

I'm not saying that I'll never buy or sell on CL again. But it isn't likely.

Stuff like used appliances and air conditioners, I prefer to just find a needy young family and give it to them.

And if I have an old vehicle, I'll just bend over and take it in the shorts from a dealer.
"Perfection is the greatest enemy of profitability" - Mark Cuban

Mojo

I quit selling things on CL. I got tired of the scammers and the idiots who wanted to trade their junk for mine.

We call the Salvation Army or St. Vincent Depaul and donate it to them and then write it off on our taxes. They come to the house, load up our stuff, give us our receipt and drive away. I have a boat I am doing the same thing with. I tried selling that on CL and that turned into a huge waste of time. I had so many low life's wanting to trade junk or buy the boat for pennies that I got PO'ed and removed the listing. I can donate the boat to a charity and write it off on my taxes and probably come out ahead.

Chris

Mike

is that the wellcraft chriss did you ever launch it?  wasn't that part of how this all started a car the rv sewing in a trailer then the boat?

brmax

The process takes a lot of time both sellers and buyers under good conditions, so wanted to bring up first my most recent "Monday" Had a trip to St. Louis Lambert, anyway so set it up that way to see some family and try the all in one planed task and trip it worked out.  Met a fella at our planed location of Macs steak house if ya know what I mean, like 6 cop cars in the lot seemed normal so went in to get some breakfast came out and seen his described vehicle so in hand I went to the driver door with breakfast and ask if he wanted coffee or oj then mentioned do you feel safe enough here and we both agreed it was a sight 3 kids 6 Officers.
I left with a King tubing bender with both of us happy and me less a well invested quality 150.bucs
Some times through back n forth replies decent results can come from it as a few other equipment items I found, though it is time consuming.
Going to look at the welder in the shop see if it can weld table steel while I sip coffee.

good day everyone

Mike

June 28, 2015, 07:46:03 pm #5 Last Edit: June 28, 2015, 07:47:34 pm by Mike
a couple weeks ago I bought a tow hitch I sdspted tp fit the front of my truck
he wanted to meet at a road intersection.

Mojo

Mike:

That Wellcraft has your name on it. Come get it. I will even throw in the trailer. :)

Yes the car, then the boat. But actually it was our coach that started this mess back in 06.

Chris

Darren Henry

Hey Mike---I know those front mount hitches are slick. One artillery battery I was associated with had to have them on their gun tractors otherwise they couldn't drive their howitzers into the armories and man handling them down that curved ramp was no fun!. My curious question is why you opted for one? Are some of your boat ramps that tight? or is it for shunting trailers around your parking lot? The pics you posted make the lot look pretty "tight".

Quoteit was our coach that started this mess back in 06

Holy experlative  Chris, no wonder we have gotten to know each other so well. Back then Centurian was still a rank ---not a tank and JC was a lance jack LOL. Time flies. I look forward to many more years hangin' with you here.
Life is a short one way trip, don't blow it!Live hard,die young and leave no ill regrets!

Mike

Quote from: Darren Henry on June 29, 2015, 03:45:03 pm
Hey Mike--- My curious question is why you opted for one? Are some of your boat ramps that tight? or is it for shunting trailers around your parking lot? The pics you posted make the lot look pretty "tight".

the lot has plenty of room at the shop

but my house is on a cornwer lot the bridge over the canal is being raised and with the higher approaches to the bridge , my road is being made a cul de sac so as they aleady have my road closed going around the corner parking a trail is much more a PIA and from the front will make it easier to park the empty trailer along side my shed yard