Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
  • Welcome to The Upholster.com Forum. Please login or sign up.

October 13, 2024, 11:20:16 am

News:

Welcome to our new upholstery forum with an updated theme and improved functionality. We welcome your comments and questions to our forum! Visit our main website, Upholster.com, for our extensive supply of upholstery products, instructional information and videos, and much more.

crestliner bimini cover - shaping issue

Started by Judy_Boat, May 14, 2015, 05:54:39 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Judy_Boat

Just how much of a pain is it to pattern the drop/curve in the cover where the canvas meets the plastic on the front? Any advice.
I can pattern from the bow to the windshield edge with pattern material, but that will give me a straight line between not the dogleg drop that you can see in the picture.

Judy_Boat

Additional question? would 20 or 30 g plastic be better for the front clear portion where it attachs to the windshield?

brmax

Now that's a neat concept there, The zippers and sealing for the walk thru roll up a pita.
I believe 30 good stuff at least, because the angle of clear is in a tough situation, and its flat when new as I think the sun heat put the curve in it. On the corners I think they will fall pretty nice going on down and around to meet the straight angle up.

Something I would consider a re-look at is angling the forward bar a bit more if needed so it is in a pocket @the rear edge of a bit more strataglass and canvas say overlaps the bar 2" with glass under a ledge will say.
Still its neat but me sitting on the seat tops anymore, uh getting to old. I'd have to have some nice pedistals.
well that's enough hot air from the new kid on the block
have good day there

Old sailmaker

If the was doing it , i would template from the front bow, make a 2" or so down flap where you can attach a zipper or three, and template the plastic straight off the front bow to the windshield. Run straight lines from the corner of the windshield up. This will give them more visibility as well. Nothing personal but that is one ugly boat cover. Lol

Mike

im not folling the question  "drop/curve in the cover where the canvas meets the  do you mean the windshield of the plkastic window in the canvas top?   it pattern in canvas with no plastic window who wants the hot sun on your head unless you sit so hight you need the vinyl window   and as far ans the oddball side window now needed with the curvy window id have made the top come down farther to the side to come in line with the side angle of the windshield.

I held off if I should post this but there is a great new forum for the marine folk here. www.coverandcushion.com

brmax

Judy I am figuring the front bar to windshield top is flat and a straight measurement at center.
Bringing the patterning ? from bow is throwing me off, as for a mooring cover yes then.

Hey Mike thanks for the link, great site and as always your contributions here are the tops, And no need at all to hold off.

Good day there

Judy_Boat

A line from the front bar to the windshield is NOT straight. There is actually an angle of the canvas to the plastic that is simply formed by the material.
There is a slight gather in the canvas across this seam that i think is going to drive me insane.
Right now I am going to try to pattern with a mockup in pattern material sewn together between the front bow and the windshield.

If you look at other crest line sea hawk fishing boat images on google some look even stranger.

brmax

Your the boss, Im pretty sure though when they made it they patterned it as yes 2 angles going forward I didn't say it correct, 1 the boats windshield and 2 the tops front area.
That "side to side" top curve where the clear is connected is the spitin image of a typical rear convertible and Im not sure I would have done that. "Unless"
To my eye it has more bow than the factory bars and looking like a dodger bends, this im not sure why without fiddling with it and being onsite.
The tops are great for rain and inclimate weather I totally understand cover on the water btdt. love aluminum boats to, we have many rivers with rocks.
I would consider that front bar to be way more of an angle towards front as this I think is what will keep it from doing the exact same thing, its possible the bar should be and is the same curve as windshield looking from top down, but if its not angled enough/pushing forward  well ?

Keep us posted,  I am more than willing to ask the others here what am I seeing ?  or not

Judy_Boat

The shape of this cover is different.
Looking back, I wish I had seen the old cover on the boat so I could have asked the customer if they wanted to keep that shape. I priced the cover with it off the boat sitting on the ground.  I did not pick up on the strange shaping at the time. It was in such bad shape that I do not think my customer had used it for years.  But hindsight is wonderful.

brmax

I can say many times watching the smaller boats race on the lake around here when I was younger, that top ruled with 6 hrs through different stages of a race or races and in several there was rain and when it rains it is cold.
So being able to stand up and be protected for water work or better yet water fun is #1
Appreciate ya sharing how some areas of the country deal with the elements and what some Pro's work on.
Its Friday!