Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
  • Welcome to The Upholster.com Forum. Please login or sign up.

October 13, 2024, 11:24:16 am

News:

Welcome to our new upholstery forum with an updated theme and improved functionality. We welcome your comments and questions to our forum! Visit our main website, Upholster.com, for our extensive supply of upholstery products, instructional information and videos, and much more.

How do I keep the wood from pressing through?

Started by CW, May 18, 2015, 12:26:59 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

CW

The back of my slipper chair has 2 support rails. Before I removed the fabric, I could see those rails pushing against the old fabric. The last upholsterer did not add anything between the fabric or the rails. The picture is of the back after fabric was removed, and before tear down was completed.

The chair back curves and I will add webbing and Dacron, but I'm worried the wood might still show through. What else can I do to make sure they don't, and to give it a nice round look?
"Yard by yard, life is hard. Inch by inch, it's a cinch." ~Unknown

kodydog

The webbing and padding should do it. When I'm doing the outside back on a chair like this I try not to pull the tar out of the webbing. I think it looks stylish and attractive if the fabric bows in ever so slightly.
There cannot be a crisis next week. My schedule is already full.
http://northfloridachair.com/index.html

baileyuph

If your problem is with the outside back (not inside back), I think you can get where you want to be by adding a layer over the outside back, pulling the material fairly tight from top to bottom.  Then, over the burlap, you can add a layer of cotton/dacron and even cover over that with a muslin installed with the same general technique as the burlap.

This will then give the final covering plenty of support to prevent frame members from showing through.

Where the burlap/padding (cotton or dacron) is stapled around the edges just use good judgement to not create too much bulk  to give a problem when installing the final covering.

This problem you are having is a fairly common issue on some barrel backs.

Don't over do the padding, it shouldn't take a thick layer given the support the burlap and muslin will provide.  Just a comment, sometimes the burlap and padding will be enough to accomplish the look you are seeking.  The muslin helps and provides extra insurance. 

Good luck,  looks like it will make a nice chair.

Doyle

MinUph

You would want to put a strip of webbing close but not covering, on each side of the 2 vertical rails so it gives a good rounded area. Then a layer of under fabric pulled tight top to bottom and just take the slack out side to side. Then a thin layer of dacron or cotton and put the outside back on. Pulling the same way as the under piece.
Paul
Minichillo's Upholstery
Website

SteveA

You may also consider adding a center rail and slightly make all three rails concave.  This will make a better balance and even backrest for webbing and padding.
SA

CW

All great ideas! Thank you! Now I feel a little more confident that the back will be smooth and flawless!
"Yard by yard, life is hard. Inch by inch, it's a cinch." ~Unknown