Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
  • Welcome to The Upholster.com Forum. Please login or sign up.

October 13, 2024, 09:24:13 am

News:

Welcome to our new upholstery forum with an updated theme and improved functionality. We welcome your comments and questions to our forum! Visit our main website, Upholster.com, for our extensive supply of upholstery products, instructional information and videos, and much more.

Asian Repair Parts Prices! - Hallucinating?

Started by baileyuph, April 15, 2015, 05:56:21 am

Previous topic - Next topic

baileyuph

This really got my attention:  Had a quick request to go and repair a new sofa with recliners - the mechanism controler assembly (mounted in arm and connected to lowermechanism) broke and required replacement - quick fix so I did the service.  But listen to this:

Unwrapped the parts and there was an invoice copy inside that revealed the parts (assembly device) billed which was actually less than $2.  I thought I was imagining things, but that is what it read - and quickly my obvious thought was how could this be?

The assembly wasn't that simple and if the cost was that low, no wonder Asian manufactured furniture is impossible to compete against.

Naming and disclosing more might not be the right thing to do, but in general have others noted how cheapely repair parts are for the furniture and parts are made - shipped in - and priced?  There is no way we can compete with this situation in a manufacturing fashion!

No wonder there is so much chatter about the demise of the middle class?

Just wondering?

Doyle

sofadoc

Who was this invoice addressed to?

If it was to the in-home customer, then I agree that price is insanely low.

But if it was to the retailer that sold the furniture, maybe that price is part of a pre-negotiated agreement between the manufacturer and retailer.

I've never ordered any replacement parts directly from Asia. They're usually shipped to the retailer first, and then to me.
"Perfection is the greatest enemy of profitability" - Mark Cuban

SteveA

I guess the US dollar is still worth something overseas -
They could have sent the whole chair for $ 12.00
SA

Darren Henry

Quoteif it was to the retailer that sold the furniture, maybe that price is part of a pre-negotiated agreement between the manufacturer and retailer.

I too have the retailers I service provide parts. They have more "clout" with the manufacturer [read better service/price] and there is a chance they have the required parts at one of their depots or outlets here in Canada. Most of the invoices/way bills etc... that I have seen are $0.00 or a small shipping fee. A couple of my clients (same parent company) have a check box on their work order as to what the manufacturer covers---parts? labour?

I'd have to accept 'Doc's theory that they have an "arrangement" for common failures like release cables and recliner mechanisms on top of the manufacturer's warranty.
Life is a short one way trip, don't blow it!Live hard,die young and leave no ill regrets!

baileyuph

The billing was not addressed to the customer, It was some level of the corporation and after I was assigned the job, a local retailer got the part to me.

I don't have the paper now (at the bussiness) but I recall it was close to $1.75 and no other charge was stated.  So, you guys are thinking, the selling corp likely gets the special rate while the item is under warranty?  That could make sense.

Is it possible that what is happening, the selling corp is being charged what the Asian factory is charged (namely the $1.75)?

That or something like that is probably how the number is so low.

That with standing, the Asian furniture factory sure gets the parts cheap - huh?

Doyle