Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
  • Welcome to The Upholster.com Forum. Please login or sign up.

October 13, 2024, 11:22:57 am

News:

Welcome to our new upholstery forum with an updated theme and improved functionality. We welcome your comments and questions to our forum! Visit our main website, Upholster.com, for our extensive supply of upholstery products, instructional information and videos, and much more.

No stripes for newbie BUT...diamonds?

Started by JaneNYC, April 03, 2015, 06:31:42 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

JaneNYC

Kodydog sez: Stripes will drive a newbie crazy.  I went looking at fabric today and I noticed that a lot of patterns, even if they aren't actually stripes, are very stripey.  Like, the patterns are layed out in wide bands.

Should I skip a pattern of repeat diamonds as well?  Just go for a random pattern?

I FEEL the answer...

j.

MinUph

Stripes or patterns are nothing to shy away from. You work from center. Mark the center of the frame front, back top and bottom. When you cut the fabric choose a center and work out from there. Say you need a piece 27" wide. Find the center of a stripe and mark 13 1/2 on each side of the center. Then when you place it one the piece just work from center. Pin tack front and back at the center points, then continue out from the keeping it straight.
Paul
Minichillo's Upholstery
Website

JaneNYC

April 04, 2015, 07:43:10 am #2 Last Edit: April 04, 2015, 07:49:21 am by JaneNYC
Quote from: MinUph on April 04, 2015, 05:02:44 am
Stripes or patterns are nothing to shy away from. You work from center. Mark the center of the frame front, back top and bottom. When you cut the fabric choose a center and work out from there. Say you need a piece 27" wide. Find the center of a stripe and mark 13 1/2 on each side of the center. Then when you place it one the piece just work from center. Pin tack front and back at the center points, then continue out from the keeping it straight.

Min, I'll read this more carefully, but that's what I figured: mark the middle of the wooden base on all 4 sides and then line up the stripes.  And I'm guessing repeating diamonds have to be lined up the same way.

I still think I'll try to find a random print that I like, because if I choose stripes and I'm not happy with the job I did, you're all going to be able to hear the rifle shot all the way down there in Fla...

j.