Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
  • Welcome to The Upholster.com Forum. Please login or sign up.

October 13, 2024, 05:15:18 am

News:

Welcome to our new upholstery forum with an updated theme and improved functionality. We welcome your comments and questions to our forum! Visit our main website, Upholster.com, for our extensive supply of upholstery products, instructional information and videos, and much more.

A clean machine

Started by gene, February 03, 2015, 05:56:11 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

gene

February 03, 2015, 05:56:11 pm Last Edit: February 03, 2015, 05:57:43 pm by gene
Just like the fireman with an hourglass, I like to keep a clean machine.

I plan on cleaning my two sewing machines this week - general wipe down and get any gunk out of it and oil it up with a bit of lube on the gears.

Several years ago an upholsterer in his late 40's died. His sewing machine was put up for sale as it was when he died. It was the dirtiest sewing machine I've ever seen. I had a difficult time imagining him sewing on it without getting threads and dirt on the fabric.

Anyway, it's too late for me to die in my late 40's, however, I would like to have a clean machine while I'm still alive.

Do you ever clean your sewing machine?
If yes, how often?
Any special tips, tricks, or materials you use?

Thanks for your thoughts, and please, let's keep your replies clean.  :)

gene
QUALITY DOES NOT COST, IT PAYS!

sofadoc

My  Juki 1508 has the oil reservoir below the hook assembly only.

About every 3 months, I clean all the oil out of it by absorbing with paper towels (it doesn't have a drain plug). Then I squeeze the sponge pad out. I blow the hook assembly, tension discs, and any gunk I can find on the underneath side of the head with my air hose.

Then I re-fill the reservoir, and oil all the ports marked in red, as well as a few other moving parts with my "Zoom spout". 

I wipe down the machine with "baby wipes" several times a week, and add a drop of oil to all the red ports. I also add a drop around the bobbin case every day.

I pre-wind 20 or 30 metal bobbins at one time. When I do, I keep the bobbin case oiled while winding at a constant high speed. 
"Perfection is the greatest enemy of profitability" - Mark Cuban

MinUph

My 2 machines get pretty heavy use. One has an oil pan which oils most everything except the foot lift and a couple other spots outside. They get oiled each day or two. I clean my machines every once in awhile. No regular schedule but a few times a year. Shops are dusty and dirty. I have my machines in a sewing room now. Mostly away from the other work areas.
Paul
Minichillo's Upholstery
Website

Mojo

I have 4 machines all dedicated to a single purpose - 1 for binding ( Chandler ), 1 for welting ( Juki 563ln ), and 2 twin needles for the seams ( both Highleads ).

A man with OCD like myself will always keep a clean machine. I have not resorted to applying a car wax to them but have considered it. :) I clean them once a week which is basically blowing out the
hook assembly and other areas of the machines. I keep a can of air ( used for computers ) next to the machine and will blow off the foot area and needles several times a week. The canned air makes it quick and easy.

The twin needles are self oiling while the other two are not. Bob Kovar once told me that the one area of the machine that wears out the fastest is the hook and bobbin areas. He advised me a long time ago to put a drop or two of oil in these areas every time I changed the bobbin.

I always pull off the end cover and oil everything in there as well. I should mention that I always oil at the end of the day, place a rag under the foot and across the bed to catch the oil drops and then wipe up the next morning. By then most of the excess oil dripped off over night versus oiling during the day and having it run onto the fabric and machine bed. I never oil during the day as I hate the mess.

A clean machine is a happy machine. :)

Chris

gene

February 05, 2015, 05:33:28 am #4 Last Edit: February 05, 2015, 05:36:42 am by gene
Gene, Gene, the dancing machine.

I have a clean machine,

If you know what I mean.

(I know what you're thinking: "It's 8:30 in the morning and the poor guys drinking already.")

Well, what's even more sad is that I don't drink, drug, smoke or chew, or date women who do.

AWWWWW! I have no excuse for my behavior!
----------------------------------------------------------
Thanks for the comments. I do not have a regularly scheduled maintenance program but I do try to go over everything several times a year.

My Zuji is a totally self oiling machine. When I clean it I also make sure everything is well oiled and being well oiled. It has a clear cap on the top that I can see oil bouncing around when I sew to let me know the pump is working.

My Juki LU 562, which has a small bobbin than the Juki LU 563, gets oil every time I sit down to sew and every time I change the bobbin. I learned this from the Merv Knutson upholstery videos I bought when I got started in upholstery. I think it's a bit much because I sometimes get oil on the feet, but too much oil is better than not enough.
---------------------------------------------
This was the first time I blew out the machine with an air hose. Thanks for the idea. There was certainly some dust that was hiding in it.
-------------------------------------------
Folks will sometimes ask about whether or not a sewing machine is a good buy. Checking the moving parts for wear and tear and seeing if they have been well oiled is something most folks don't think to do.
------------------------------------------
QuoteBob Kovar once told me that the one area of the machine that wears out the fastest is the hook and bobbin areas. He advised me a long time ago to put a drop or two of oil in these areas every time I changed the bobbin.

I first heard about oiling this area on this forum many years ago and I have done this ever since.

A clean and well oiled machine is a happy machine.

Thanks again for your comments.

gene

QUALITY DOES NOT COST, IT PAYS!

Virgs Sew n Sew

LOL Gene, I wouldn't have even gotten the connotation had you knot commented on it. ; )

I have blown out my Singer sewing machine as part of my maintenance but have never done it on my Tacsew.  I guess because I can see the parts so much easier.  I'll try that and see what comes out.  I oil every Friday as part of maintenance, more often if I'm sewing like crazy on it.  I'll start oiling at night I think as that makes more sense than needing to wipe down the first three or four pieces sewn after oiling.

Great tips all!

Even better humor, Gene!

Virginia