Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
  • Welcome to The Upholster.com Forum. Please login or sign up.

June 25, 2024, 08:04:10 pm

News:

Welcome to our new upholstery forum with an updated theme and improved functionality. We welcome your comments and questions to our forum! Visit our main website, Upholster.com, for our extensive supply of upholstery products, instructional information and videos, and much more.

Should this furniture be reupholstered?

Started by gene, February 08, 2015, 07:26:52 am

Previous topic - Next topic

gene

February 08, 2015, 07:26:52 am Last Edit: February 08, 2015, 07:27:28 am by gene
This post is more for customers rather than the trade. However, if you are in the trade, I think this information would be important to have in your sales ditty bag.

Good article on the subject.

I especially like #5:

5. Once you figure out how much it will cost to have repaired and reupholstered, don't compare that price to an inexpensively made brand new piece. Sure, you can buy a new sofa at an outlet or a department store for less than reupholstering your old Hendredon sofa, but it's not the same at all. Think of the difference between a Mercedes and a Chevy. Quality, quality, quality.

http://www.modhomeec.com/2014/12/31/should-this-furniture-be-reupholstered/

gene
QUALITY DOES NOT COST, IT PAYS!

byhammerandhand

Having done the repair work for the Henredon Store (when it was still open), I can tell you today's Henredon is not the quality of Henredon of the past.  Probably the worst two things I saw in upholstered furniture were several  $12K leather sofas.   While it had coil springs, they were cinched onto a sheet of webbing on the bottom, then criss-crossed with perforated metal bands that were nailed, with roofing nails around the perimeter and, when lined up, the cross beams.  Before it got out of the store, the nails were popping.  Some were completely out, some were just squeaking when you sat in the sofa.    Another chaise had such poor construction in the feet, they were cracked in two, again, while still in the store.
Keith

"Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work." Thomas A. Edison