Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
  • Welcome to The Upholster.com Forum. Please login or sign up.

October 13, 2024, 07:22:13 am

News:

Welcome to our new upholstery forum with an updated theme and improved functionality. We welcome your comments and questions to our forum! Visit our main website, Upholster.com, for our extensive supply of upholstery products, instructional information and videos, and much more.

Sunbrella Boat Covers

Started by old, June 13, 2010, 08:20:49 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

old

What is the rule of thumb for top stitching a boat cover?

Is it OK to do double top stitching on the main seams or is it best to just do one row of top stitching so as to maintain the water resistance in the Sunbrella fabric?

Also, does anyone have experience using Sunbrella marine fabric?  How do you remove the stitch marks if you have to rip out a seam.  The fabric doesn't seem to be very forgiving.

Help!

Kathyb

Grebo

A few of us here use Sunbrella, as with most materials which you don't want to leak. You just get one shot at the seam, if you start un picking you are leaving holes that will leak.
(Some of us use venture tape as well on seams to help seal them).
Not unless your new seam line is inside the old one of course. I believe most of us just fold the seam to one side & do one row of top stitch, sometimes turning it twice for luck,  :D it depends a bit on where the seam is & what it's doing.
You should check out the threads  ::) on needle size & threads they are also important to keep your boat dry.  ;)

Kenneth813

- I already referred this to my friend.

Regards

Kenneth

Cock145

does anyone have experience using Sunbrella marine fabric?  How do you remove the stitch marks if you have to rip out a seam.  The fabric doesn't seem to be very forgiving.
Whether you want to pass 70-486 exam exams or looking for 70-680 study guide certification,

Mike

Virgs Sew n Sew

It's my experience that upholstery fabric period is not forgiving (unless you are using a home dec type fabric).  I think that is because of the size needle you are pushing through as well as the type of fabric.

Virginia