Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
  • Welcome to The Upholster.com Forum. Please login or sign up.

October 13, 2024, 05:15:53 am

News:

Welcome to our new upholstery forum with an updated theme and improved functionality. We welcome your comments and questions to our forum! Visit our main website, Upholster.com, for our extensive supply of upholstery products, instructional information and videos, and much more.

Heat wave

Started by Darren Henry, January 24, 2015, 05:22:19 am

Previous topic - Next topic

Darren Henry

What a change in weather up here. A month ago I  was whining about how bitter cold it was [ a week of two of forty below with wind chill] and now for the last couple of weeks we've been up to 15 degrees C above normal. It's been melting the last three days. Yesterday's high was +5 C or 41F. Currently -3 with ice fog but going to  drop to -10 overnight and then back to above freezing at +1 by Monday. Normals are minus 12 in the  day time and minus 21 overnight.

NOW who wants to come ice fishing? I could use a driver for the next year or so.
Life is a short one way trip, don't blow it!Live hard,die young and leave no ill regrets!

Virgs Sew n Sew

Here too.

We're going to be mid 50's for several days, then several days 60-64 F.  This is January in the Mid West????

Virginia

sofadoc

We've mostly been in the mid-50's to high 60's around here lately. Supposed to be in the 70's next week.

When this town dips into the 40's, they roll up the sidewalks and go into hibernation.
I've often said that I don't know how you folks up north generate any interest in upholstery work during the winter months. Fortunately, we really only usually get a few short spells of bitter cold weather down here. But when we do, everybody runs to the grocery store and buys up all the soup, and hunkers down at home.
"Perfection is the greatest enemy of profitability" - Mark Cuban

Virgs Sew n Sew

When it's frigid like that, all the boat owners start thinking about boating, that translates to new boat seats and life is indeed good!  ; )

Virginia

Mike

when it was winter in new Hampshire nobody though about boating  , snowmobiling and ice fishing ya, but not the boat till april

Darren Henry

Same up here Mike.

QuoteI don't know how you folks up north generate any interest in upholstery work during the winter months.

That is actually our busiest time. In the summer kids are home from school,people are taking their vacations or just enjoying summer so don't think their furniture. Once it starts to get cold in the fall sledheads start bringing their seats in and people spend more time on the couch and start thinking "update". Sure, there is a lull after christmas when the visa bills come in,  but it is usually steady until ice out when the boats and other summer toys come out.
Life is a short one way trip, don't blow it!Live hard,die young and leave no ill regrets!

Darren Henry

Well---that was fun while it lasted. MInus 29 *C with -37 windchill this morning. That's 20 below F feeling like 35 below.

I went to the Scottish pavilion at our annual multi-cultural festival last night. It wasn't as cold as this morning, but it was enough that us smokers all said "damn, have we gotten spoiled" everytime we went out for one.

Is there life beyond my coffee pot? Don't know,don't care. I'll find out on the way to work tomorrow.

Virgs Sew n Sew

We were supposed to get maybe 1-2" of snow.  Had that much melt before the ground got cold enough for accumulation.  Have at least 6" now and of course it is on top of ice from the melted snow.  Plus temps are under 10 degrees F with winds of 30-35 mph.  Brrrrr.  Jimmy will probably NOT get his walk today.

When is spring going to get here? 

Virginia

Know there is no reason to complain.  I wore shorts Mon, Tues and Wed due to 60+ temps.

Mojo

Darren:

We stole your heat. 76 today, sunny and gorgeous. :)

Chris