Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
  • Welcome to The Upholster.com Forum. Please login or sign up.

October 13, 2024, 03:23:23 am

News:

Welcome to our new upholstery forum with an updated theme and improved functionality. We welcome your comments and questions to our forum! Visit our main website, Upholster.com, for our extensive supply of upholstery products, instructional information and videos, and much more.

hammock for an outdoorsman

Started by Joys Shop, January 08, 2015, 06:45:29 am

Previous topic - Next topic

Joys Shop

My brother likes to live rough
He asked me to make him one of these

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ok6t_iPZDuc

He said that he's seen these made with canvas or 1000 cordura
he doesn't know which would be stronger/lighter

My brother is not a small man
5'11" about 250#

problem is,  I don't know what 1000 cordura is
and
have been looking for STRONG black canvas for myself for a project, but have been unable to find any
I have white/cream, but think that would not be appropriate for such a project

anyone can help?

cthomps

I do a lot of sewing with Cordura.  Magnatuff and Dynamite, are also comparable products.  I also camp.  I would not want the product made of canvas, it would be very heavy and much bigger to carry.  Cordura is lightweight, strong and has a waterproof coating on one side.  Think of a high quality backpack or gym bag.  I use T92 thread, 22 needle and would probably double stitch all seams.

If you use the Cordura or like fabric, it should be plenty strong to hold your brother just fine. I would worry more about the polls he chooses. :)

You can get Dynamite from Rochford supply and Cordura can be found at Rockywoods at retail pricing. If you choose to go with canvas, try your local farm supply.  Ours carries canvas tarps in brown.  Hope this helps.  Carol
"Trying to make a living, one stitch at a time."

Joys Shop

Darren Henry

Ditto--- Cordura all the way over canvas or Sunbrella etc...It is even available in camo. KEWL!!

Quoteproblem is,  I don't know what 1000 cordura is
and ---

The folks who make cordura offer it in a couple of thread counts. The strongest (highest thread count) is the 1000.
Life is a short one way trip, don't blow it!Live hard,die young and leave no ill regrets!