Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
  • Welcome to The Upholster.com Forum. Please login or sign up.

September 28, 2024, 02:54:57 pm

News:

Welcome to our new upholstery forum with an updated theme and improved functionality. We welcome your comments and questions to our forum! Visit our main website, Upholster.com, for our extensive supply of upholstery products, instructional information and videos, and much more.

Life hack

Started by gene, December 19, 2014, 08:54:58 am

Previous topic - Next topic

gene

life hack: a strategy or technique adopted in order to manage one's time and daily activities in a more efficient way.

Last night at the end of a long day my hands were very tired. I needed to sharpen a pencil. I have a 30 cent plastic pencil sharpener from Walmart. I have to hold the sharpener in one hand and turn the pencil in the other hand in order to sharpen the pencil.

I noticed my cordless screw driver on the table. I chucked the pencil in the cordless screw driver and in 2 seconds I had a very sharp pencil. Genius or just lazy?

Any life hacks you engage in that have to do with business and are appropriate to share on this forum?

gene

QUALITY DOES NOT COST, IT PAYS!

scottymc

December 21, 2014, 01:21:46 pm #1 Last Edit: December 21, 2014, 01:22:25 pm by scottymc
Doesn't look like anyones putting their hand up to be any smarter or lazier then you are gene.

sofadoc

Actually, I embrace the whole concept of the "Life hack", And I'm sure that I've improvised a few myself. I just can't think of a single specific one right now.

But I have probably chucked some rather unorthodox objects into a drill for some odd purpose before.
"Perfection is the greatest enemy of profitability" - Mark Cuban

Mike

well ive been not at home much but Gene I though of one  when installing lift the dot posts in a boat I hacnt found a tool to insert them   to screw then in the boat after drilling a hole to I put them in a cordless drill  just tight enough to hold then  they come right off the drill when installed

byhammerandhand

Not exactly work related, but they're for the shoes I wear to work in.    Many times now, shoelaces come about a foot too long and end up being hard to keep tied.   I cut off 10 or 12" off each lace.   then I have to replace the aglet.   I take a drop of type II PVA glue (e.g., Titebond III) and soak the last 1/2" of the cut end.   Next day I have a serviceable shoe lace.
Keith

"Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work." Thomas A. Edison

Darren Henry

Now that you mention that, Keith; a body could probably do the same thing with a 1/2" length of heat shrink. I'm gonna try it when I get back to  Brandon. wink!
Life is a short one way trip, don't blow it!Live hard,die young and leave no ill regrets!

sofadoc

I've often wondered myself why shoelaces are a mile too long now. They didn't used to be.

My theory is so you can double or triple-knot the lace. People like me are too lazy to re-tie the lace every time they put their shoes on. So they tie the hell out of 'em once, and then treat them as slip-on shoes henceforth. Would this procedure fall under the category of a "Life hack"?

I think that "Life Hacks" are man's way of combatting the evil cosmic forces that are prevalent in our society. A phenomenon that I refer to as "They can put a man on the moon.........but they can't......". A slight variation of "Murphy's Law" if you will.

For example, they can put a man on the moon, but they can't seem to make a kickstand that will competently hold up a bicycle. Or make pages in a receipt book that will actually tear at the perforations. 

And for some reason, about half the customers that bring their furniture to me show up in a truck with a tailgate that won't open. They have to stand on their tippy-toes, and strangely contort their face while wiggling their torso against it as they maneuver the defective latch with a combination of pinkie fingers. All because they can put a man on the moon, but they can't seem to fix a tailgate.

And don't get me started about those miserable ratcheting tie-down straps that everybody runs out and buys, but can't operate.

We need our "Life Hacks". We would lose our sanity without them.

SteveA

Grumpa -
They do make stuff that works - it's just not in our price range -
like that CNC machine for cutting fabric - that works doesn't it ?

I do constantly upgrade the crap I buy to work like intended -
SA

Rcrabb

A little off topic like the shoelace but I couldn't resist.

http://youtu.be/89O6j1SOUVs

scottymc

I do use the battery drill to power the coffee grinder.

byhammerandhand

Handy screwdriver , high speed Allen wrenches
Put a screwdriver bit in a 1/4" socket wrench for extra leverage, faster removal, or tight areas.   You can also buy sets of Allen wrenches (metric and imperial) with 1/4" drive shafts to do the same.   L-shaped Allen wrenches can be a real hassle to speed in a connector like the 10 or so on dining chairs.

Glue dispenser
Santa is bringing me a set of six ketchup table top dispensers for $5 from GFS (restaurant supply co.) that I plan to use with woodworking glues that I buy in bulk.

sinuous spring puller
Screw a "ceiling hook" into a piece of wood to create a sinuous spring puller.  For a longer reach, use a stiff piece of wire and bend over a small hook on one end.   Drill a hole through  a dowel or a piece of wood,  stick the wire through, bend it over into a slot and epoxy in place.

Staple catcher
Buy a mechanic's magnetic tool dish to hold staples as you pull them.   When done, sweep over the floor to pick up escapees.   Since I do most repair work in the consumer's home, I don't want to leave staples where they'll step on them later.

Headlamps
Battery operated LED headlamps from Costco, Harbor Freight, or home centers like Lowe's and Home Depot give you a third hand when you need to be working in dark areas like inside a piece or stitching up in inside corners.  To light the area you need to get illuminated, just move your head.   The batteries last for a very long time.
Keith

"Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work." Thomas A. Edison

gene

December 23, 2014, 07:16:56 pm #11 Last Edit: December 23, 2014, 07:17:49 pm by gene
QuoteAllen wrenches (metric and imperial) with 1/4" drive shafts

I did not know that. I actually cut an allen wrench once so I could use it with a socket wrench. That metal is very difficult to cut through.

QuoteGlue dispenser
Santa is bringing me a set of six ketchup table top dispensers for $5 from GFS (restaurant supply co.) that I plan to use with woodworking glues that I buy in bulk.

Don't mistake it for a new kind of hamburger dressing? Wow. That will make food stick to your ribs.

QuoteStaple catcher

I bought a magnet sweeper from Home Depot years ago that I use to pick up staples and tacks from the floor at work.

I bought a magnetic tool dish from Rowley's years ago that was called a magnetic pin dish. Magnetic pin dishes are the same as magnetic took dishes but only more expensive. I could have gotten it cheaper from Autozone if I knew there were magnetic tool dishes.

Rcrabb: Re that 92 Honda Civic in your video. I knew a guy who drove a garbage truck for his job. I asked him what was the oddest thing he put in his dump truck. He said he and a buddy took the engine out of a Honda Civic. They put the car in his garbage truck. It just barely fit. The knife came down and cut the car in half like butter. Pushed the front half into the truck belly, then came back and pushed the rest of the car into the truck belly.

Quotewhy shoelaces are a mile too long now
They do that so old people don't have to reach down so far to tie their shoes.

gene
QUALITY DOES NOT COST, IT PAYS!

Darren Henry

QuoteHandy screwdriver , high speed Allen wrenches
Put a screwdriver bit in a 1/4" socket wrench for extra leverage

I've got a set of allen keys and a set of torx bits that are 3/8 sockets. I think I got them at canadian tire.
Life is a short one way trip, don't blow it!Live hard,die young and leave no ill regrets!

sofadoc

With this assortment, I can disassemble and reassemble just about any furniture.

I can disassemble a La-Z-Boy in about 4 minutes.

Those butterfly wrenches are dirt cheap at places like Harbor Freight and Northern. It's one of my absolute favorite shop tools. I like it because I can get in tight places, and I can go from forward to reverse with the flip of my thumb.

byhammerandhand

Harbor Freight frequently has magnetic dishes  on sale for a couple of bucks.   I find the 3" ones are much weaker magnetic than the 4" ones.    Both my wife and eldest daughter are sewers and quilters.   When my daughter picked up her magnetic dish, the guy at the auto parts store told her more women bought these for sewing than men the mechanics.

I have a set of those 3/8" socket drive Allen wrenches.   Needed them for a really deep set screw.   My bit set I got from the largest hardware store I've ever been in, Hartville Hardware.   Easily twice the size of a Home Depot or Lowe's store.

Quote from: gene on December 23, 2014, 07:16:56 pm

QuoteStaple catcher

I bought a magnetic tool dish from Rowley's years ago that was called a magnetic pin dish. Magnetic pin dishes are the same as magnetic took dishes but only more expensive. I could have gotten it cheaper from Autozone if I knew there were magnetic tool dishes.

gene

Keith