Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
  • Welcome to The Upholster.com Forum. Please login or sign up.

October 13, 2024, 01:21:34 am

News:

Welcome to our new upholstery forum with an updated theme and improved functionality. We welcome your comments and questions to our forum! Visit our main website, Upholster.com, for our extensive supply of upholstery products, instructional information and videos, and much more.

Sweet sharpener

Started by sofadoc, January 14, 2012, 02:30:52 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Peppy

Doesn't the sharpener sofa showed say it can sharpen serrated blades?
☠ ✄ ✂ ✁ ✂ ✃ ✄ ✌ ✄ ✂ ✁  ✂ ✃ ✄  ✁ ✃ ☠
http://www.facebook.com/greybruceupholstering
☠ ✄ ✂ ✁ ✂ ✃ ✄ ✌ ✄ ✂ ✁  ✂ ✃ ✄  ✁ ✃ ☠

sofadoc

Quote from: Peppy on January 18, 2012, 05:56:36 pm
Doesn't the sharpener sofa showed say it can sharpen serrated blades?
Yes, it does.
The product comes with a very nice instructional DVD that clearly demonstrates how to sharpen all types of knives, tools, and shears.
It does pruners, and lawn mower blades too.
It comes with 6 belts in 3 different grits (2 of each). If you register the product online, they send you another set free. I've probably sharpened 30 items so far, and haven't even worn out 1 belt yet. Replacement belts are $10 a set.
My button cutters are so-o-o sharp now, if you even LOOK at the edges of them, they'll cut your eyeballs!!
"Perfection is the greatest enemy of profitability" - Mark Cuban

gene

January 19, 2012, 05:39:23 am #17 Last Edit: January 19, 2012, 05:41:26 am by gene
Thanks for the info. I had seen that it said "serrated", but I was wondering if anyone had done so and how did it turn out.

I hadn't thought of a chain saw sharpener for my foam turkey cutters.

Interesting that they have a DVD. This usually jacks up the price on things. $70 seems like a good deal.

A friend has a very old, larger grinding belt. He can no longer find the size belt that he needs, so he cuts his own and glues them together with super glue. He said they occasionally come apart, but at least he can use his grinding belt. I had thought of this for this item, but at $10 per set it doesn't seem necessary.

I started using a metal file last year for sharpening my scissors and they are cutting quite well. I even have 3 scissors I bought from K-Mart for $3 each that I use at my sewing machines and they cut better after I used the metal file on them than they did when I first bought them.

I have this grinding wheel sharpener on my 'wish' list.

gene
QUALITY DOES NOT COST, IT PAYS!

Darren Henry

QuoteI sharpen the blades on my turkey foam saw with a chain saw file, works purty good

Ditto. Well enough that I sprunk for the stones for my "Dremel" like tool.

QuoteI started using a metal file last year for sharpening my scissors and they are cutting quite well.

If mine need that much material removed I use a very fine stone on my grinder,otherwise I use a steel to just touch them up.
Life is a short one way trip, don't blow it!Live hard,die young and leave no ill regrets!

gene

September 04, 2014, 03:53:25 pm #19 Last Edit: September 05, 2014, 06:40:24 am by gene
I got the Worksharp for my birthday recently. I absolutely love it. It does everything everyone was raving about.

I thought my scissors were sharp. They are even more so now. It really makes the cutting easier and the tips of all my scissors have no problem nipping the edges of fabric.

I did some scissors for a business friend who makes window treatments. One of her scissors had warped blades and they didn't cut before or after I sharpened them.

Serrated knives are easy to sharpen. Their video shows you how to do that. I sharpened all my kitchen knives. You can really tell the difference.

I also sharpened: the blades on my electric knife turkey knife blades that I use to cut foam, the hex blade in my electric fabric cutter, and the razor blade in my razor blade knife.

$69.00 with a set of sand paper belts. They say they will send you a full second set if you register with them, but it takes 2 months. I haven't gotten my yet. I wonder if they don't send it out for registering but will send it after 2 months if you let them know you haven't gotten it yet? A lot of folks might forget to ask.

Once again, I appreciate the info I find on this forum.

gene

sofadoc

If you have a Northern Tool store close by, you can pick up a pack of 6 belts for $10.

I recently bought their sister product, the Drill Doctor. It does a great job with drill bits. But it costs $100 (for the medium size model). And since drill bits are fairly cheap, it will be a long time before the Drill Doctor pays for itself.

The Drill Doctor cost $99.99 with tax. I had a $20 off coupon that was only good on a purchase of $100 or more. So I had to buy a soda next to the register to put the total over $100.

BTW They DID send me the free belts for registering. And I don't remember it taking too long to get them.
"Perfection is the greatest enemy of profitability" - Mark Cuban

gene

Yes, a pack of belts is around $10 at the two stores here in town that sell the WorkSharp.

The instructions said that because of their high sales volume it will take 2 months to get your free pack of sanding belts. I would think that if their sales are that high they could buy or make even more sanding belts for a 'less per' price and have enough on hand.

I don't drill enough holes to warrant a drill sharpener. If it does a good job, I would think that that could be a benefit to someone who does a lot of wood working.

gene

byhammerandhand

I'm assuming the two stores Gene talks about are Rockler and Woodcraft.   If you have one near, check them out.

I felt the same way about Drlll Dr, then I snagged one that no one else wanted at an auction.   
Keith

"Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work." Thomas A. Edison

Bob T

September 05, 2014, 10:25:23 am #23 Last Edit: September 05, 2014, 10:41:29 am by Bob T
The sharpener I use is very much like the one Peppy uses, or much like this one:  http://www.collectorsweekly.com/stories/20570-universal-shear-sharpener

However I have made one very significant modification to it.  I replaced the sharpening stone with a 2" x 5" steel plate with a "fine" diamond surface.   I mount the scissors and get them adjusted so the diamond surface is parallel with the surface to be sharpened, then I make one very gentle pass with the diamond plate to check alignment.  I use a jewelers loop  to check where the diamond surface is making contact with the OEM scissor surface, this way I'm exactly replicating the manufacturers sharpening angle.  Once perfectly aligned, I make a few passes with the diamond surface, checking with the jewelers loop until it is perfect. Then I do the other side of the scissors.  This exactly replicates the OEM angles for sharpening the scissors.

How sharp..... a 1/4" from the tip of the scissors, I can very easily cut a 92 thread dangling in the air without making the thread move!

I've had mine 15 years.  Purchased off Ebay for about $75.  There are some on there when I checked today.

Bob T

gene

Quote1/4" from the tip of the scissors, I can very easily cut a 92 thread dangling in the air without making the thread move

Bob, that's a GREAT definition of 'sharp'.

gene

gene

October 01, 2014, 12:35:11 pm #26 Last Edit: October 01, 2014, 12:36:16 pm by gene
I got a small package today in the mail. It has a sticker on the back that says:

WARNING:
This product contains a chemical known to the State of California to cause cancer.

Since I don't live in California, I opened the package with no concern. It was the free belts for my Work Force that I got for registering it.
gene

byhammerandhand

Woodcraft has Prop 65 warning added onto EVERY product that they sell.   The store manager said it was too much of a hassle to do it product by product so they just slap it on every product they sell -- books, hardware, tools, finishes, etc.

Quote from: gene on October 01, 2014, 12:35:11 pm

WARNING:
This product contains a chemical known to the State of California to cause cancer.

Keith

"Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work." Thomas A. Edison

gene

December 02, 2014, 04:11:22 pm #28 Last Edit: December 02, 2014, 04:11:57 pm by gene
I sharpened the cutting blades on my serger today. Awesome. No need to buy new blades.

I cut our Thanksgiving turkey with a large hand knife that I hadn't used in years. I had sharpened it when I first got my Work Sharp. It easily cut as good as an electric carving knife.

gene