Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
  • Welcome to The Upholster.com Forum. Please login or sign up.

October 05, 2024, 10:19:50 pm

News:

Welcome to our new upholstery forum with an updated theme and improved functionality. We welcome your comments and questions to our forum! Visit our main website, Upholster.com, for our extensive supply of upholstery products, instructional information and videos, and much more.

I Need Your Help and Input

Started by Mojo, October 22, 2014, 07:09:56 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Mojo

I value all of your opinions and so many times in the past one of you helped me learn something or brought up an idea I hadn't thought of. So I am back to ask what all of you think of this idea.

I am in a different position from many of you as alot of my customers are do it yourselfer's. In other words they install many of our products themselves versus taking their coaches in to a dealer for an awning/topper install.

They look to us for help which includes manuals, procedures and needing assistance getting through critical steps in the installation process. I have spent years learning the different assemblies, their internal parts, operation, etc. From motorized assemblies to fully manual ones not to mention the variables across the numerous manufacturers. I know every single piece and part right down to what size screw to use where. It represents a great deal of time and energy to get to the point to where I am considered by many in the industry as an awning/topper expert. It is a reputation I take seriously and I admit I enjoy teaching and holding " how to " seminars.

My problem is I am sometimes inundated with phone calls from customers who are stuck at a certain step or possibly they are troubleshooting a problem. Just the other day I got 4 phone calls from one customer who was having a hard time doing his install. I spent over an hour talking him through the problem and that hour represents $ 135 of shop time. It is a huge time killer for me especially when I am buried up to my eye balls in orders and every hour sewing is critical to meet some impossible deadlines.

So my idea is this - Make a series of videos that our customers can watch. We already have a Youtube channel and can simply provide links to our videos off our web site. I will include several videos for different assemblies as well as videos answering common questions. I believe this will greatly reduce the amount of time I spend on the phone or answering e-mails. Not offering any assistance is obviously the great way to go but that is something I will not consider. Our company was built on customer service and we are one of only three companies in the USA who offer technical assistance ( and parts in some cases ). This is the main reason why we stay so busy and are so popular among bus owners.

Any canvas shop can provide toppers or awnings but very, very few have years to build a knowledge base that will allow them to assist customers with technical problems or answer difficult assembly questions. If you read comments from customers on the internet you will see just how important this level of customer service is to them.

Do you think this is the best way to go ? I fully understand that some customers will still want to talk with me but if I can cut down on the number of phone calls it would really help. Can you see any downside to the videos ? Am I missing something ? Obviously I will copyright each video segment as I already have one competitor that copies alot of our web site content and incorporates alot of our ideas that we come up with.

Opinions, good or bad and ideas/input would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks gang,

Chris

MinUph

Hey Chris,
Videos should help some people. It may take some serious time but in slow times why not build the library. Including link to technical support via the youtube videos with each order.
  Another idea adding cheap thumb drive with a video geared towards their personal installation on it might even be easier access for them. I'm sure you could get them in bulk for a buck or so. Wouldn't need anything very large for a video. I don't know how many installation types there are but no-one would be copying them on you.
  Some will still want to call you but this might cut it down some if you include it in your advertizing. "Installation support available through this channel - You =tube, thumbdrive". How ever you might word it.
Paul
Minichillo's Upholstery
Website

SteveA

Could you get one of those phone head sets so that you can speak but still work at your craft ?

SA

Mojo

Steve:

When I was 25 I could multitask and probably work and talk at the same time. But since I am now
135 years old those days are behind me. :)......lol.......

When I am working I concentrate on my work and hate distractions. This last year I have gotten into the habit of leaving my phone inside the house and not the shop.

Paul: Excellent idea on including a thumb drive. I had no idea they were that cheap. Your right some will still want to call but hopefully the videos will cut down on alot of them. It is going to take alot of time getting these videos made but in the end I am hoping they will be worth it. If nothing else I am hoping they will also be good advertising tools as well.

Chris

Virgs Sew n Sew

I think the video's are a great idea.  I've been using a manual on the volkswagon and there are times I would kill for a video for the 3-D perspective.  You see the picture and then look at the bug and its a "Hmmmm, I think this is what he's pointing at".  Same thing with my new sewing machine owner's manual.  A couple of places, I thought they were talking about one thing and it is another.  Video and that 3-D perspective can only be beat by "in person".

Just my $.02 worth.

Virginia